LegacyGT.com

excessive oil in the spark plug area

i just pulled my spark wires to check to see if they needed replacement and ther was quite a bit of oil on the end of all 4 wires. wanted to kno if this is common on a subie or if i need piston rings or something along the lines of that. thanks

its an 03 legacy l btw

It is common for the valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube seals to leak. That is most likely where your oil leak is from.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

yea, im puttin new wires and plugs on, looks like it needs it. thanks

You realize he said the spark plug tube gaskets, not the plugs themselves, right?

You'll only ruin a new set of plugs if you don't replace the those gaskets. Its a rather simple task. Hardest part is taking all the crap around the valve covers off to get to them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Do you remove motor mount bolts and raise the engine at all to get easier acess. I have 05 but the top of the heads is really cramped between the frame rails. I know it was tight when I changed my plugs.

When I first got my supra I thought it was packed full and hard to work on under the hood. After getting the Suby and going single I realize it is a very roomy engine bay to work in

I've done the VC's without having to move the motor around. Once the battery is out on an '05+ you've got plenty of room. Just put the car on ramps and you'll be able to get at the bottom Valve Cover bolts even easier from underneath.

It's a cheap, rewarding repair, and the Fel-Pro gasket kit couldn't be any better. (Gaskets, tube seals, bolt seals(?))

Archived