LegacyGT.com

factory cubby, aftermarket headunit

Calcvictim

Hi guys,

I am new and don't even have a Legacy, but I will probably get one within a few months so for now I am doing research in regards to things I want to modify. The first thing will be installing an after market head unit because of mp3 compatibility. I see many units in AVO single din cubbies but none in the factory ones, is it because an after market head unit doesn't fit or because of another reason. It seems like a better solution if the stock cubby could be used since the flap provides a stealth factor/cleaner look and obviously it's free.

Hi guys,

I am new and don't even have a Legacy, but I will probably get one within a few months so for now I am doing research in regards to things I want to modify. The first thing will be installing an after market head unit because of mp3 compatibility. I see many units in AVO single din cubbies but none in the factory ones, is it because an after market head unit doesn't fit or because of another reason. It seems like a better solution if the stock cubby could be used since the flap provides a stealth factor/cleaner look and obviously it's free.

Regardless of what route you choose putting an aftermarket head unit in the lgt is a lot more involved than most cars you may be used to. You can't put it in the stock location because the climate control is integrated into the stereo. There is a company on here called Highline Car Audio I believe that makes a custom bezel for 800$ so that you can put your deck where the stock deck was. But IMO I couldn't justify spending a small fortune just to have the ability to put a deck in, I'm too cheap. If you are into some custom fab work you could be like me and put a double din where the cubby hole was. Let me know if you have any other questions....

People use the avo because it is the only option you have to buy a prefabbed piece that is intended for an aftermarket deck in our rides without spending a lot of money. I've never actually seen a car on the forum that had this installed though. I would bet almost anything you would still have to bust out the dremmel to get this install done even with the avo piece because of a lack of depth. Behind the cubby, which isn't deep enough for a deck, is a sheet of plastic in the way to prevent a deck from going in deep enough to be flush with the dash. I had to remove that sheet of flastic with a hacksaw because it was thick, the dremmel was taking forever... Once that is out of the way you get a little more depth but then you have a metal cross member in the way, you have to position the decks just right to clear the bar. Trust me, fitting the decks in that hole is damn near a full day job in itself....

People use the avo because it is the only option you have to buy a prefabbed piece that is intended for an aftermarket deck in our rides without spending a lot of money. I've never actually seen a car on the forum that had this installed though. I would bet almost anything you would still have to bust out the dremmel to get this install done even with the avo piece because of a lack of depth. Behind the cubby, which isn't deep enough for a deck, is a sheet of plastic in the way to prevent a deck from going in deep enough to be flush with the dash. I had to remove that sheet of flastic with a hacksaw because it was thick, the dremmel was taking forever... Once that is out of the way you get a little more depth but then you have a metal cross member in the way, you have to position the decks just right to clear the bar. Trust me, fitting the decks in that hole is damn near a full day job in itself....

+eleventiy billion to that.

the reason its easier to buy the non perfect fitting JDM double din is becuase its already made, already painted, and should work pretty much perfectly. If you fabbed yours it would take about 1 day instead of a few days fo delivary, and you could probably do i for like 10 percent of the cost. i fabbed my bumper for 28 dollars (removing the lower bumper divider piece). the body shop i took it to for a rough estimat said 560. In addition double dins are not the easiest to get in there becuase of the metal cross member, the piece of plastic behind there is easy to remove. If you use a single din motorized screen and place it on top of the info panel that you are pretty much certain that when you slide your headunit in tha the headunit will confterably rest on top of the metal bar.

If you want some pictures of my install ill post a link. In addition tommypenguin has posted newer pics of his install in my other thread.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84402

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33360

im sorry but i have to disagree. ive installed decks in many cars and in the LGT its not hard at all.

its actually really easy.

once you have the kit from avo (the din kit) all you have to do is dremel two small tabs in the back... when you have it in your hands youll be able to tell what im talking about.

the kit comes w/ some metal brackets to attach the radio firmly in there.

once its all wired up and ready to go you just put the factory bezel back on...

i can do this in 2 hrs w/ me taking piss breaks :cool:

im sorry but i have to disagree. ive installed decks in many cars and in the LGT its not hard at all.

its actually really easy.

once you have the kit from avo (the din kit) all you have to do is dremel two small tabs in the back... when you have it in your hands youll be able to tell what im talking about.

the kit comes w/ some metal brackets to attach the radio firmly in there.

once its all wired up and ready to go you just put the factory bezel back on...

i can do this in 2 hrs w/ me taking piss breaks :cool:

I just looked at the avo instructions, they looked very easy, much less involved than what I did, but you only can have one din. The dremmeling is nothing for those two tabs. If you only need one din, avo looks like the way to go.

read my post again, I know what the AVO unit looks like. I was looking for the stock piece, what it looks like inside.

it looks like a pocket, not alot of room.

SEARCH is your friend.

I can find pics in like 10 seconds with the search feature. :spin:

Archived