LegacyGT.com

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 'Star' Spec

Bulletproof4age

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh i would mention, these tires are ******* huge. 225/45/17 and I'm slightly worried about clearance. (Granted, i ahve a wagon, but 225 is normally no problem from what I gather). If 215s are this wide (relatively) they'd be an ideal tire for someone wanting to run stock class.

(for extreme performance tires)

stock class only requires a stock sized wheel (with a 1/4" allowance either way for offset). tires can be any size you can stuff on the wheel and ideal for stock class is hoosier a6 ........ as big as can be stuffed on the stock wheel, likely a 245/40 17. ;)

IMHO and from personal experience, a 215 is best for a 7" rim, and a 225 for an 8" rim. Get too wide and you need to run too much tire pressure to keep them from rolling over at the track due to less than optimal sidewall angles.
Ron

Just wnat to note that it snowed last night when i was out. (God, i ******* hate Minnesota). Thankfully it didn't stick, but these tires below about 40F are ******* ice skates.

Of course, we knew this already, but they're actually more noticably bad than most summers I've had.

Well, first 2 autox on these.

The grip is pretty good. I'm quite happy with that.

However, wear extremely bad. Now I'm pretty darn hard on my tires, but these are insane. At 51psi (max psi) they're still rolling over and the tread seems the be falling apart.

Maybe I got a bad batch or I'm too hard for them, but really WTF?

I should have bought RE-01Rs.

Well, first 2 autox on these.

The grip is pretty good. I'm quite happy with that.

However, wear extremely bad. Now I'm pretty darn hard on my tires, but these are insane. At 51psi (max psi) they're still rolling over and the tread seems the be falling apart.

Maybe I got a bad batch or I'm too hard for them, but really WTF?

I should have bought RE-01Rs.

Rolling over in autox? pretty strange. Do you have something like 225 tires on a 7" rim? I had that issue in the past on another car.

Also strange to see a lotta wear after two autoxs. I had a bunch of wear on my Hankooks after one track day, but it was a rough track in 90+ temps.

Ron

Rolling over in autox? pretty strange. Do you have something like 225 tires on a 7" rim? I had that issue in the past on another car.

Also strange to see a lotta wear after two autoxs. I had a bunch of wear on my Hankooks after one track day, but it was a rough track in 90+ temps.

225 on a 7.5in

That shouldn't be too narrow. :confused:

Now I'll admit I do everything wrong, I overdrive and I'm too hard on my tires. However, pretty much everyone's been surpised when they've seen my tires.

225 on a 7.5in

That shouldn't be too narrow. :confused:

Now I'll admit I do everything wrong, I overdrive and I'm too hard on my tires. However, pretty much everyone's been surpised when they've seen my tires.

No, 225 on a 7.5" rim is fine. The sidewalls sound weak if you run 51 psi and they still roll over.

Ron

I just order Direzza Z1 235-40-18 on 8" wheel for my STI pink lowered Spec B . I heard the Direzza size is bigger that normal from other brand even same size , just wondering anyone have this same set up and any fitment issue like rubbing fendor ?????

Sam

No, 225 on a 7.5" rim is fine. The sidewalls sound weak if you run 51 psi and they still roll over.

That's odd. I also have a set of these for autocrossing and I have absolutely no complaints about them. I mounted them on a spare set of stock wheels so I have the 225/45/17's on the 17x7. For autocrossing, I have them set at 43 psi (front) and 41 psi (rear). I chalked all 4 corners and it never wore past (or close to) the shoulder/tread line.

Chris, I'll show you at the next meet what my tires look like. 6/19 right? So that means I'll have 3 more autox sessions (1 autox driving school, 2 events) plus daily driving on them.

• 2 months later...

FWIW, I have basically killed my Z1s and will be replacing them with the same tire.

They didn't roll after an alignment with -1 camber and while they wear weird in the begining, they stick like crazy.

I was able to get 225/45/17s locally overnight from Discount Tire. I was shocked too.

I put up a small update on my tires in the autox thread we have running in the tri-state area forum.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1969185&postcount=251

Just a few pictures of each of my tires with a little commentary. FWIW, I was running the stock OEM alignment for the first part of the season (until the last event we ran when I finally put coilovers in)

If you want to read about my "corner-balancing" (wasn't really done right ~_~) and alignment story:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1945177&postcount=17

• 3 months later...

So I took these on the track. I am a little confused, first time in a heavy car and tire endurance dynamics i didnt have to worry about as much with cars under 2500. plus i shaved 10 seconds on the course between sessions so carrying extra speed may have changed the feel of the tire. so take this at face value: a review by a complete noob.

star specs @ 225/45/17 on Sti BBS.

This was done at buttonwillow and the max speed i got on the main straight was like 105 so its a decently curvy track.

anyway. the first 2 sessions were great. i was not going anywhere near the limits of the car/tire/whole shibang as i was learning the track, AND the car. no noise, no squeal, no anything. grip was good enough such that i screwed up and early apexed on a turn or two but only had to deal with scrubbed off speed. (early apex at speed in the miata and you're going to be gardening for sure)

as the day went on, the tires got louder (may have been closer to the limits) and it felt a little greasier. had to brake earlier into corners. i was a little confused by this as i thought it was supposed to be even better at temperature and heat cycled than at the beginning of the day.

but i read some article that it was designed to be an autocross champ...

http://news.infibeam.com/blog/news/2008/04/04/dunlop_direzza_z1_tires_star_in_scca_national_prosolo.html

so i guess it would make sense. Initial dry grip. i guess i went past the initial happy grippy part? but still good enough to do this (second to last session so this is the "slightly greasy" feeling i had)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jYLaO6Ca3g]YouTube - Legacy GT chasing a lotus[/ame]

cliffs notes: felt like it performed better (caveat being i was way slower at that point) earlier in the day than at the end. but after making adjustments it still performed well beyond my expectations.

would purchase again, but would try to find in a larger size.

car for sale. PM me!

These tires are great. I had no sideway rolling issues at all - I ran them at ~40 psi hot and they were fine.

They grip like crazy. I had 3 track days with them, interestingly on the last, coldest one (~50F vs. 60-65F earlier), they seemed to loose some grip.

They actually last pretty well, wear was less than expected.

The noise is beause of the rubber crap the tires pickup on the track. The noise goes away after a while as the crap falls off.

They only thing I kinda dislike is that I lost some sharpness in initial steering response, but that's kinda weird, since the sidewalls on these are rather stiff and stiffer on the tires I had before (GY F1 GSD3). Maybe it's the nearly full thread vs. the worn down GYs.

These tires are great. I had no sideway rolling issues at all - I ran them at ~40 psi hot and they were fine.

Maybe it has changed, but the sidewall was no where near as stiff as the RE-01R.

In general, sidewall matters more in auto-x than a track day. The sidewall is an issue on these tires in auto-x, not track days.

Archived