LegacyGT.com

Yakima Roof Rack Warning

mwiener2

I got a yakima roof rack the other day andI love it cept for two things. With the ski carrier on the crossbars, i go from 21.4 mpg to 18 mpg. If I take the ski carrier off the crossbars or tilt it down, the noise becomes unbareable. But for some reason, when they are in the normal position, no noise.

I'm gonna get a fairing and see if that helps with noise / areodynamics. This is turning into one $$$$ roof rack. The fairing brings it up to $400.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I got a yakima roof rack the other day andI love it cept for two things. With the ski carrier on the crossbars, i go from 21.4 mpg to 18 mpg. If I take the ski carrier off the crossbars or tilt it down, the noise becomes unbareable. But for some reason, when they are in the normal position, no noise.

I'm gonna get a fairing and see if that helps with noise / areodynamics. This is turning into one $$$$ roof rack. The fairing brings it up to $400.

Do this:

http://members.cox.net/craig.hunter/rack-wrap-01.jpg

That's black bungie cord. The spiral wrapping eliminates a vortex shedding phenomena that causes the humming noise (and associated aerodynamic drag).

Don't get a fairing, it's the wrong fix (and too much $$). I think I spent $3 on the bungie material at a local kayak shop.

CRaig

too late, i went and got the fairing. It def cut down on noise with th ski rack on...havn't checked with the ski rak off yet. I also havn't done any significan't highway driving yet either, so i dunno if it helped my overall areodynamics.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I have the Yakima fairing and it fits nicely between the rails and it did it's job, solved the howling problem. I like the bungee idea as well, but wonder if the fairing would be better for me since I have bike mount vs. just the cross bar.

I might remove the fairing and try it since it really doesn't cost much.

A rack fairing will typically reduce noise/drag over the roof rack but it will increase the overall vehicle drag. So I would use it as a last resort. To be honest, rack fairings are mostly bought for looks (I used to sell Yakima racks at a canoe shop).

Craig

Snowboards fit easily. You can even throw boots in there as well. Keeps the mess out of the car. A former co-worker, a snowboarding instructor, had one and swears by it.

I have a hard time believing how expensive the Yakima system is. I priced it out at a couple of online vendors for a rack system and a LiftTicket6 and the lowest price was about $380. Anyone know if these systems go on sale during a specific time of year? Know any good online vendors? Best price I found was from orsracksdirect.com.

Snowboards fit easily. You can even throw boots in there as well. Keeps the mess out of the car. A former co-worker, a snowboarding instructor, had one and swears by it.

I have a hard time believing how expensive the Yakima system is. I priced it out at a couple of online vendors for a rack system and a LiftTicket6 and the lowest price was about $380. Anyone know if these systems go on sale during a specific time of year? Know any good online vendors? Best price I found was from orsracksdirect.com.

aren't those boxes reaaaaally expensive. like $700 range expensive... well luckily my 2 boards fit through the sedan ski pass, so i may not even get a rack.

I was at a local ski shop this weekend that had a couple of boxes for sale. Yep, about $700 for just the box. Outrageous. Think I'm going to stick with the ski pass thru for my snowboards. I might go with one of those trunk mounted carriers for transporting my bike.

Archived