LegacyGT.com

Can a trans. cooler cool the tranny too much?

SpawnGT

If i install a tranny cooler of some size in my (its an auto with a stage 2.5 setup) is there any way that the cooler could cool the tranny oil too much where instead of beneficial it would be hazardous to the transmission?

in addition is there any way to route the oil hoses(i assume) for the transmission to the top of the engine(where the TMIC is) i ask becuase i have a FmIC and i was thinking of fabbing up a mounting for a cooler up there. basically would running hoses if possible up to the TMIC be too far for the oil line? and is it possible?

you could route it up there.... it'd be all custom, but if you splice into the post factory tranny cooler and before it heads back to the tranny case.

I don't believe too cool would be too bad, since it will still warm up to operating temp if you take it easy when you first get going in the morning. Throughout the day though, the tranny fluid stays awfully hot for a loooong time. When we did my VB, the tranny fluid was hot for hours after we shut the car off.

You can get a TruCool or B&M one with an internal low-temp bypass for the fluid, which would effectively turns off the tranny cooler until the tranny fluid gets warm.

Sounds like a neat idea, keep us posted.

Mike (<--- I run 2 tranny coolers)

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

you could route it up there.... it'd be all custom, but if you splice into the post factory tranny cooler and before it heads back to the tranny case.

I don't believe too cool would be too bad, since it will still warm up to operating temp if you take it easy when you first get going in the morning. Throughout the day though, the tranny fluid stays awfully hot for a loooong time. When we did my VB, the tranny fluid was hot for hours after we shut the car off.

You can get a TruCool or B&M one with an internal low-temp bypass for the fluid, which would effectively turns off the tranny cooler until the tranny fluid gets warm.

Sounds like a neat idea, keep us posted.

Mike (<--- I run 2 tranny coolers)

You have 2 tranny coolers? That is pimp...i applaud you.

Ok a few questions for you oh wise and powerful 5EAT owner :spin:

1. Where did you mount the two tranny coolers? PICTURES ALWAYS APPRECIATED(but i will search for them after i post this reply)

(Reason: i know you have a front mount(which immediatly covers 1/2 of the radiator), and i have been awfully worried about attaching a tranny cooler to the upper portion of the radiator(right behind the grill) therefore covering another 1/4 of the radiator)

2. does one have a specific different function from the other one or are both the same and just used to further the effiency of the cooling effect?

3. you say i should splice into the post factory tranny cooler and before it heads back to the tranny case...where would you cut it it to have the best access to the top-back portion of the engine bay(near the TMIC)?

4. this internal low-temp bypass...just trying to further my grasp on the function of it: i was under the assumption the tranny cooler was no way or form electrical, so this bypass, is it an electronically controlled door?

5. wierd question...can one install some kind of sandwich bolt in the tranny line possibly before the OEM cooler to find out the temperature of the tranny fluid as is after it leaves?

1. i haven't taken pictures yet... i've got both doubled up in front of the radiator... i may copy you and relocate one up top though. So far it hasn't really given me any problems.

2. I started off with the hayden 1677 as my first tranny cooler. didn't know a lot back then, but wnated to get something installed to supplement the factory cooler. I added a TruCool as a secondary cooler (basically goes factory cooler - > Hayden - > TruCool then back to the tranny.

3. The lines are rubber up near the radiator, but they are hard l ines a ll the way back to the tranny from there. Up front will be the easiest place to splice in some lines. Opie's Tranny cooler guide will show you which line is which.

4. I think the bypass is pressure controller, a high pressure/low temp bypass system inside the tranny cooler. It isn't electrically controlled at all. I'll try to find hte posts about the TruCool and B&Ms. Having owned both a hayden and a TruCool, the TruCool construction is much nicer but both do the job.

5. I'm wiring up a dummy light that will trigger once the temps reach over 180F. I have no idea where i'm going to put the sensor yet, but you could definately do something with the pre-factory cooler if you wanted to. It is rubberlines that connect the hard lines that run along the frame rail to factory cooler, so you could figure out how to put something in there.

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

Archived