LegacyGT.com

Problem with unsecured air-splitter/flaps on '05 to '08 wagons >>

A_Tang

The part of the vehicle I'm refering to is shown in this pic (the member whom I've borrowed this pic from, thank you ;) )

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23940&d=1157236970

There are some internal stakes or pins that hold his part on to the fenderwell, as well as three external clips (the type that have a small button you pry open with a screwdriver). I've had to replace these clips (which aren't cheap) several times simply due to snow/road debris that strike this flap while driving. Its seems that Subaru should've designed it with better fasteners since it faces rearward and is susceptible to being struck.

Has anyone tried securing it with some screws instead of the clips, or perhaps using a grinder to actually cut away part of the flap thus giving it less surface area and reducing the chance of impacts? Does anything think that cutting the flap down would dramatically reduce fuel economy?

Thanks

Al

• 1 month later...

I am pretty sure they are engineered to actually provide a benefit. How much of a benefit, likely quite minimal, I am sure a lot less then 1 mpg.

But don't discount that they do have a purpose. If you take them off you likely won't notice anything, but over time you will likely pay a small premium in higher fuel consumption.

Archived