LegacyGT.com

Sea Foam Motor Treatment

Not really topic related, but isn't ironic that in the second sentence you're doing exactly what you said you shouldn't do in the first sentence?

Eight motors in the WRX, one in a '90 Legacy LS, one 1990 Legacy SS, One Porsche 1.8L, two Ford 4.0L. I feel this is more of a hypothesis than an assumption, I could be wrong.

I still don't see why you think that because you have swapped so many motor's that it makes you some all knowing car god.

Obviously something your doing is causing failures and having you swap motor's so often so I'm not sure I would ever listen to anything you ever had to say.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink....

curious: intake, or exhast valve? how did you suspect/diagnose the leak?

thx

Compression numbers were all with in spec. Leak down was in range as well. Easiest way to exclude one from the other was to remove the exhaust manifold. Once the exhaust manifold was removed you could see the stream of oil coming from the valve guide. This was a pretty major leak, about 1qt every 100miles.

how about a leaky one up top; i imagine leakdown would highlight it, but what other symptoms might one of those exhibit?

tx for the edu -- just interesting stuff that kind of rarely gets discussed.

Your first indication will be oil consumption. Many times it begins as a puff of smoke when you lift off the throttle. Reason; the vacuum that is caused when closing the throttle plate will pull oil from any where that leaks. When your stopped and the motor is at idle you may not see much but you'll smell it. Then when you get back on the throttle a massive cloud of oil will puff out the tail pipe. If your catted you may see a decrease boost response due to fouling of the cat. Oil creates a ton of heavy soot. You'll probably see it in the tail pipe. It's not your normal build up. It's very thick.

If the motor is in fairly good shape and your valves are seated well against the head, it is unlikely it will show with a leak down. Now if you've run it for a while and the valve seats have begun to collect the carbon from the burnt oil the seat will begin to leak. Many times a you can hear where the discrepancy is. If you hear air from the throttle body, intake valve. exhaust manifold/tail pipe, exhaust valve. Breather lines, piston rings. Just because you hear wisping don't automatically assume that's the problem. Release the pressure, brings the piston back to TDC and see if you can duplicate the problem.

Depending upon what you suspect to be the problem determines what tests you preform and where you look.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived