LegacyGT.com

Why a Subaru is better than a Volvo (Video evidence!)

Thats a V70 I just looked on Volvos site and they do not list that model as all wheel drive. Only the V70R is AWD and not sure if that was an "R" model.The XC70 however is standard all wheel drive and would have been a more fair comparison.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Slowest server ever, most boring video ever. That Volvo is FWD, what did they expect? And what language are they speaking? "Blah blah blah blah blah blah subaru oudddtaback". I want my click back.

Obviously Swedish, and a slam to the Volvo brand when he drives off in the Subey!

He was probably saying something like, "my countrymen better get it together in the AWD department as the Japanese are kicking our a$$es."

No that's a V70XC, which is an older model with a poor AWD system. The current model (XC70) with the Haldex AWD system is much better and would probably pass that test no problem.

all of Volvo's AWD systems, in even their new S60R vehicles, is still FWD biased and you can still feel the pause in the reshuffling of power to the rear wheels.

whether or not it's inferior is one thing, but i find "haldex" to be relatively meaningless if the power is still FWD and then it has to kick power back to the rear wheels.

you're still upsetting the balance of the vehicle at the limits of adhesion and this is why i would still opt for a constant feed of power to fronts and rears.

You may very well be right, but I did hear somewhere that the new Haldex system is actually programmable to change the bias and that the XC70 uses something like a 95%/5% bias so as to minimize the reaction time and balance change when power is transferred to the back. I can't confirm if thats true, just something I read somewhere.

Either way the XC70 would still pass the test in the video with no problem, and it would still meet the needs of those who are just looking for extra traction on slippery surfaces.

Important to remember with front biased AWD the traction must be lost before transfer of power the the rear axle.....

This is the reason that the Suby does so much better it starts with a much better balance of traction and so traction is not lost when climbing.

Parousia

i would still opt for a constant feed of power to fronts and rears.

But the fuel economy suffers from that compared to a FWD biased AWD system like Haldex.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

Thanks for the thread, great stuff..... but seriously, I dont need NO video to prove to me why the Scoob is (PERIOD) a better ride than the ...... can't even bring myself to say the car name.

Adam.

He's from Melbourne where driving a beige <insert that name> is positively deadly for your cred;)

In fact any <insert again> is regarded about as fondly as a serious radiation source, and most drivers there try to stay well away from them :lol:

Ya see, I am from there too, and I understand his feelings:D

As for that video, Haldex vs VTD = (i believe the current term is) OWN3D :D

*Haldex swears black and blue that their system really works as an AWD when it needs to

Guest *Jedimaster*
Anyone like to point out that most Subaru 4spd automatics have a 95/5 split until traction is lost? So get off your bloody brand Nazism, and start looking reality in the face.

Thank you! We've been waiting for glorious enlightenment!

Anyone like to point out that most Subaru 4spd automatics have a 95/5 split until traction is lost? So get off your bloody brand Nazism, and start looking reality in the face.

I appreciate your input as no doubt the rest of us do....

Care to include the actual tech details from Subaru for this statement?

Parousia

BTW the 4SPD Auto is in the >$30,000 models only, I don't even think Volvo has a vehicle with AWD even similarly equipped in that $ range.

Just curious about the reliability of Volvo's AWD, so I checked out Consumer Reports to find that the reliability of the S60 AWD is rated @ -60%

....ouch

Check Subaru's propaganda for the 2005 Legacy 2.5i auto. Which was the same transmission used in the 2004 Legacy GT limited wagon which IIRC also jumped the 30K mark w the usual port added options.

I'm not saying that the Volvo system is in any way better or worse thay any given subaru AWD system, just that there are certain people here who bandwagon and brand nazi to an extreme extent. Oh and if *I* am calling someone a Subaru brand Nazi, its saying something. Lol personal rep for being a Subaru Nazi...

Also keep in mind that the usual Volvo owner is a different ownerbase than the usual subaru owner. Teh usual Volvo owner doesn't mind paying more for exactly what they want. They also don't need bling bling on the spec sheet. They don't need to Dorifto every corner on the way into work. Most don't even need AWD, as FWD + traction control would work every bit as good. More so than the usual subaru 5spd with open front and rear diffs, and a "insta-nuke" center diff that is very easy to blowup if one axle is completely stuck and the other axle has no to minimal resistance. The 4spd autos are a bit better as the Torque converter acts like a "lsd" or "traction control" by the mere fact that its reluctant to increase the RPM even when one wheel breaks loose, thus preventing the slipping wheel from completely running away like a manual transmission car is prone to doing.

Oh and if Volvo owners really cared... The AWD system they use can be set to run nearly any torque split you could care to name as its default torque split. So if the S60R crowd suddenly turned out to be the same people that shop for a EVO, it could get a rear biased torque split in a couple of DAYS. Just long enough to make a new ECU flash sent to the dealers. However since most S60R people cross shop 330 and 530's not EVO's and STis I don't see this happening.

The reason I am asking YOU to post the info on the

"Subaru 4spd automatics have a 95/5 split"

is because I am unable to find this info that you assert is a fact.

Support your argument or its just worthless..............

Parousia

Archived