LegacyGT.com

How not to start your morning.

NSFW

This probably sucks a little bit less than a fire at a gas station..

[ame=http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=acf_1205798056]LiveLeak.com - Man at gas station hits the fire button by accident[/ame]

Think that's halon? That could cause serious injury!

If halon is dispersed as a powder, then this could very well be halon. Whatever it is, I would not have wanted to be in the area when that released. BTW - did anyone see what caused it?

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

That's better:

[ame=http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3bd_1193215549]LiveLeak.com - Security cam footage at gas station shows driver doesn't realize his car rolling into a pond[/ame]

Not halon. Systems like those require pressurization to function, as they have to reach and maintain a certain density in the air to suppress fire. That's just like some massive tanks of your standard dry chem from the looks of it. Either way, holy ****.

If halon is dispersed as a powder, then this could very well be halon. Whatever it is, I would not have wanted to be in the area when that released. BTW - did anyone see what caused it?

SBT

That seems to be ordinary powder, which essentially is same as baking soda. It releases carbon dioxide when heated.

An alternative would be foam which also works fine at fuel fires.

Halon is a gas and having it outdoors is useless.

453747.png

Think that's halon? That could cause serious injury!

That is not Halon. I had the halon system at one of my previous employers trip. Halon is an invisible gas that is simply more heavy than air. It works by displacing the air in a room but it would be entirely ineffective outside. I was told by one of the fire marshals that it isn't dangerous except in that it pushes all the air out and you'd be unable to breathe (if you were in said room).

That is not Halon. I had the halon system at one of my previous employers trip. Halon is an invisible gas that is simply more heavy than air. It works by displacing the air in a room but it would be entirely ineffective outside. I was told by one of the fire marshals that it isn't dangerous except in that it pushes all the air out and you'd be unable to breathe (if you were in said room).

Note to self:

Finish reading the thread before replying. :redface:

Which is why they classify it as a fire "suppressant".:)

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

And actually Halon act's chemically active in addition to just diluting the oxygen level to suppress fire. Unfortunately Halon isn't good for the ozone layer so that's why it's outdated and often forbidden to use today. Usually it's replaced with carbon dioxide, which is almost as efficient. The difference is that carbon dioxide is a little more toxic for humans and animals and you will need a bit more of it.

You can also use any other non-oxidizing gas to suppress fire. Nitrogen, Helium, Argon etc. Just take your pick - when you have a fire it may be good to know that you actually can use the gas from your MIG welder to put out fuel fire.

But avoid chlorine and such gases - they can be even worse than oxygen!

453747.png

Archived