LegacyGT.com

De-Tuned STi Engine??

Hey, so everyone says that the legacy just has a "detuned STi engine..."

what does that mean... like we can tweak a few bolts and tighten a few screws and we have 300 hp? or does there engine have diffrent parts like up and down pipes.. ect....

confused, thanks for the info, also if its parts, will it void the warantee?

-alex

There are a lot of opinions about what are the difference between the STI and legacy GT engine's but we do know that the STI and Legacy vary in at least these ways....

Different Turbo VF39 in STI, VF40 in Legacy

Different Intercooler

Different Intake

Different ECU tune.

But they do seem to have the same block, and injectors.

There has been some speculation the cams maybe different too but this hasn't been confirmed.

However with the stock setup it looks like pulling 300hp at the crank shouldn't be a big deal. 300WHP is doubtful with the stock setup.

My mechanic also said this is the first year that Subaru has a electronic variable valve/timing, kinda like Honda's VTEC.

Whoa, the variable valve timing used in the subaru is nothing like VTEC. It's only variable valve timing, it does not have "lift" like the vtec system does.

VTech is like a turbo in that it kicks in and makes a sound that sounds like a robot being chafed with a cheese grater, its like 1000% better than NAWWWZ and adds like 150FWHP when combined with a picnic bench spoiler, tokico struts and a type R badge. When you push the clutch pedal in while you are rolling forward rev the engine to redline then drop the clutch and almost pass someone you can be like I VTECHED YO @$$, or if you lose you can say VTECH didn't kick in, im running lean for some reason!:lol:

VTech is like a turbo in that it kicks in and makes a sound that sounds like a robot being chafed with a cheese grater, its like 1000% better than NAWWWZ and adds like 150FWHP when combined with a picnic bench spoiler, tokico struts and a type R badge. When you push the clutch pedal in while you are rolling forward rev the engine to redline then drop the clutch and almost pass someone you can be like I VTECHED YO @$$, or if you lose you can say VTECH didn't kick in, im running lean for some reason!:lol:

bwahahahaha!!!

Very

Torqueless

Engine

Compensation

Yeah pretty much. Vtec is actually technology derived from Hondas F1 race cars. It allows the engine to use one cam profile at low rpms and another at higer rpms to keep power across the whole band. Basically you have 4 cams in a DOHC engine. Before i had the Legacy GT i had a honda with partial built J-spec GSR engine in it. It made 187 whp at 135 tq and ran 13.9 at 98.4 mph all motor. It took alot of money to get it there too. Heh, now i bought the LGT and can do 13.9 stock :cool:

Where is the love guys. I still own my 2000 Civic. I agree tha most ricers think Vtec is the s*** and makes a Civic fast. But the Vtec system does offer a small punch to an economy car. Case in point I had planned to sell my Civic and keep my wifes 97 Corolla when we bought the GT but after driving it I decided the B16 in my Civic runs better and gets better gas mileage. I just hate having payments on two cars. I guess I must say I Love Vtec.

Which turbo is larger, the one that is currently in the sti or the legacy?Do you guys also know possibly what tread i can find the guy who put JDM sti parts in his legacy? Im just waiting until some puts out a larger down and up pipe for the legacy to start modifying mine. :)

Archived