LegacyGT.com

Advice - '99 Legacy Sedan

Hey, I just bought me a '99 Legacy GT with a rebuilt engine (1000 miles about) and 130k on chassis. I'm going to be working with this thing a bit and adding new mods every now and then, going to start with a short shifter and short ram intake from cosmo racing. (http://www.cosmoracing.com/productinfo.asp?cid=135&pid=874 and http://www.cosmoracing.com/productinfo.asp?cid=226&pid=1562)

Does anyone have any advice on these products, are they good/bad? Never heard of cosmo racing so I wanna make sure their products are quality before I buy.

Also, first thing I did after I bought it was remove the blocker sheet of metal on the hood scoop. I thought it was a good idea at the time, but are there any bad things that this can lead to? I just didn't like the idea of having a non-functional scoop.

i dont know anything about cosmos short shifter however kart boys short shift kit is amazing. check out rallysportdirect.com, the shift kit for the 90's stlye impreza will fit a legacy. for $175 you get the sifter, shift knob, front bushings, and a rear bushing. the throw is great and the new busings make it amazing. also if you buy $200+ on the site shipping is free. there are alot of small bushing kits and other odds and ends that could get you up over 200.

i would really try and say shy away from cheap parts. a friend of mine bought a short shifter from some discount webstore and was racing someone and slamed second and snapped his shifter in half, the kart boy just looks more well made to me.

RallySportDirect.com - Kartboy GC Impreza Super Combo W/ Rear Shifter Bushing and if you want to pretty much get something for nothing, buy something $25 or more to get free shipping.RallySportDirect.com - Kartboy Transmission Crossmember Bushings, RallySportDirect.com - Kartboy Battery Tie Down, RallySportDirect.com - Whiteline 02-04 WRX/STI Steering Rack Bushings, i have both of these bushig sets on one of my legacys and they are the same part for all subarus.

Thanks for the links, going to wait till I pay all my bills for this month and grab that short shifter. My battery already has a tie-down, not sure if it's stock or if the previous owner put it on, looks pretty solid though.

I ordered that SRI too, when i get it I'll post a review or something on it, just in case anyone else was looking at it.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I said I'd talk about this Short Ram I got from Cosmo racing, and I just got it today.

It's a good kit, has everything you need, all the screws, clamps, and even some extra hoses (I used the stock hoses but the ones it come with are kinda cool looking). There were no instructions, but the install is extremely easy if you have any basic mechanical aptitude. My only gripe is that the mount that keeps it from rattling against parts of the car is pretty poorly designed, wouldn't be surprised if a few bumps knock it off. Probably going to fab my own this weekend.

But all in all, I'd recommend the kit. It's like a hundred bucks, so pretty cheap. Makes the car sound a bit more throaty, and adds a tad bit of performance. Just plan on making your own mount to keep it from rattling.

Archived