LegacyGT.com

Car Value

What false information is that? They sit there and tell me "oh I paid $15k for this truck and I'm willing to let you have it for $15,5" sorry.. you paid too much for the truck its only worth $12k.. why is it always the buyers job to bite the bullet and pay such a ridiculous depreciation on an already 5 year old vehicle?

this is comparing the vehicle to other vehicles with similar miles and equipment, most NEWER than this truck with the same or less mileage ranging from his price of 15k down to kbb's private party value of 12k. I base what I am willing to pay on a used car solely on private party.. "oh but its different" always some excuse to validate charging more for the same product. I can call up some guy whos truck is out by the road for sale and go test drive it just like I can arrange a test drive at the dealer. The difference? the owner is less likely to know how to hide defects AND you can get an idea of how it was treated based on how they live/dress/etc.

you seem to think that car dealers are all nice honest saints that arent at all out to ever take advantage of a lesser informed citizen.. are you actually making this claim or am I over generalizing?

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I find it hard to believe its costing GM $42k to make a truck.. if it is.. they need to rethink their plan..

It basically does. You see, GM is a retirement company that sells cars on the side. :lol:

They let the labor unions push them around in the '70s so they're paying for the retired workforce of years ago. This puts a serious dent in their profit margins -- and when I say dent, I mean virtually all of their profit.

Newer companies that came to the US more recently (e.g. Toyota, Honda, etc.) don't have this burden and make more profit. GM is suffering from the mistakes of weak leadership 20-30 years ago and it is trying to recover.

10 years on your doctorate & charities work..? Enough said..

Hey, when in Rome..

I project 10 I'm not even done yet. It may take 20, But I'll get it done sooner or later.

I try to inform you of some simple facts in life that obviously have escaped you, such as the car business is just a business like any other. Feeling attacked or exposed by a decided lack of knowledge is understandable. However, it's in the response of this disequilibrium that one finds out what they are made of. In this case you reached for the only cognitive tool that you have available in a feigned attempt at reconciliation. You see generally, when someones self image, or more accurately their ego is compromised for whatever reason, (the reason in this case being ignorance)they can't reconcile the new information with who they think they are. in other words they are unable to handle this new outlook of themselves or cannot successfully integrate these facts with their perceived self image. The difference between someone who is in the advanced stages of mental development and those trapped in lower is all in the response to the aforementioned disequilibrium. When one is young, or lacking in cognitive skill they use one of two main responses, anger, and or violence. This causes rejection of the aversive stimuli, and in most cases allows the person to continue without ever having to accept any new information about who they really are. It's one of the few standard built in defense mechanisms that goes back through the ages. It is however un-evolved. Improper defense mechanisms such as these lead to greater problems throughout life and require much in the way of behavioral modification to cure. It's one of the many jobs of a good therapist to enable people in life by offering them such cognitive tools.

Put quite simply, you either have allot of growing up to, or perhaps you should schedule a session with someone who can help you overcome these deficiencies. I in no way mean this derogatorily by the way. I honestly think you should see someone, they will genuinely improve your life. Accost me all you would like at this point as clearly it's all you can do. But, seriously take into consideration why you act the way you do.

That said back to the topic.

Just look at it logically, car dealerships are by no means saints, but they're not the devils everyone makes them out to be either. In fact they are governed quite strictly to make sure that they cannot screw people as hard as the average business much like the real estate industry. You may find yourself asking how that can or why it can be. The answer is very simple. The government regulates any business that has such financial impact on an individual in this country It is in their best interest to do so. This is clearly proven by the Right of rescission laws, lemon laws, and truth in lending acts. In fact, the average person has far more leeway in what they can get away with when misleading someone about the vehicle they are selling than does a dealership.

Again, to clarify, I'm in no way saying they are saints, but to deride or single out group of people such as salesman or dealerships is just plain ignorant, especially when one makes baseless judgments with no factual basis. To say ALL of X are Y in general is a logically poor statement.

The fact is that people run dealerships, people sell cars, people deliver mail, and each and every one governs themselves differently. Perhaps it would be a better idea to take them on individual basis and form judgments based on fact rather than rumor and innuendo. Just a thought.

Clearly this thread is going nowhere but a bitter argument in quite a hurry. I have said my piece, and I will leave in hopes that this gets back on topic. If anyone would like to know anything Honestly about the car business, you know where to find me -Shaun

I project 10 I'm not even done yet. It may take 20, But I'll get it done sooner or later.

I try to inform you of some simple facts in life that obviously have escaped you, such as the car business is just a business like any other. Feeling attacked or exposed by a decided lack of knowledge is understandable. However, it's in the response of this disequilibrium that one finds out what they are made of. In this case you reached for the only cognitive tool that you have available in a feigned attempt at reconciliation. You see generally, when someones self image, or more accurately their ego is compromised for whatever reason, (the reason in this case being ignorance)they can't reconcile the new information with who they think they are. in other words they are unable to handle this new outlook of themselves or cannot successfully integrate these facts with their perceived self image. The difference between someone who is in the advanced stages of mental development and those trapped in lower is all in the response to the aforementioned disequilibrium. When one is young, or lacking in cognitive skill they use one of two main responses, anger, and or violence. This causes rejection of the aversive stimuli, and in most cases allows the person to continue without ever having to accept any new information about who they really are. It's one of the few standard built in defense mechanisms that goes back through the ages. It is however un-evolved. Improper defense mechanisms such as these lead to greater problems throughout life and require much in the way of behavioral modification to cure. It's one of the many jobs of a good therapist to enable people in life by offering them such cognitive tools.

Put quite simply, you either have allot of growing up to, or perhaps you should schedule a session with someone who can help you overcome these deficiencies. I in no way mean this derogatorily by the way. I honestly think you should see someone, they will genuinely improve your life. Accost me all you would like at this point as clearly it's all you can do. But, seriously take into consideration why you act the way you do.

That said back to the topic.

Just look at it logically, car dealerships are by no means saints, but they're not the devils everyone makes them out to be either. In fact they are governed quite strictly to make sure that they cannot screw people as hard as the average business much like the real estate industry. You may find yourself asking how that can or why it can be. The answer is very simple. The government regulates any business that has such financial impact on an individual in this country It is in their best interest to do so. This is clearly proven by the Right of rescission laws, lemon laws, and truth in lending acts. In fact, the average person has far more leeway in what they can get away with when misleading someone about the vehicle they are selling than does a dealership.

Again, to clarify, I'm in no way saying they are saints, but to deride or single out group of people such as salesman or dealerships is just plain ignorant, especially when one makes baseless judgments with no factual basis. To say ALL of X are Y in general is a logically poor statement.

The fact is that people run dealerships, people sell cars, people deliver mail, and each and every one governs themselves differently. Perhaps it would be a better idea to take them on individual basis and form judgments based on fact rather than rumor and innuendo. Just a thought.

Clearly this thread is going nowhere but a bitter argument in quite a hurry. I have said my piece, and I will leave in hopes that this gets back on topic. If anyone would like to know anything Honestly about the car business, you know where to find me -Shaun

I only hope you don't treat people like this in your daily routine..

I will say, it makes me mad, and I'd like to ridicule you too, but I won't.. I'll only ask that you save your little piece here, and rethink it sometime down the road.. I know some pyschologists myself, and your uglier personal traits/characteristics are on display here..

I'll also say, I am very glad to be me & you're you.. We're very different people, obviously, and that's a good thing.. Peace, one..

Sell it to a Canadian.. a 2 year old 2.5i is listing for around 26,000 US here... even if you split the difference US/Cdn with them you both win ..

Lots of Forums in Canada looking for US Car deals, and Subaru's are deemed "border friendly"

Archived