LegacyGT.com

LWFW vs. stock - acceleration data?

BlackHole

Ok, it's about clutch time and I'm still on the fence for a flywheel - LWFW or stock mass (e.g. LGT or WRX). I know about the engagement issues, but wonder about performance.

How much does a LWFW help acceleration in LGTs? Anybody have solid before / after data (datalogs, 50-80mph times, etc.), no bench racing?

Good link for an actual test of flywheel effects and tradeoffs:

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0602phr_rear_wheel_power_increase/index.html

Kyle "BlackHole"

The thing will help you most in first gear, not as much in 2nd, less in 3rd, and by the time you get to 4th, no real difference.

The amount it helps depends on several variables - weight redux, and where the weight is placed...among other things. I used to have a flywheel calculator- where factored in the gearing and weight of the flywheel and it showed 'relative' gains. With my miata's LWFW, the car accelerated as if it had about + 10 HP in 1st...+5 in second, +1 in 3rd, IIRC.

If I can find it, I'll post-up

SOLD | '06 spec.B - VF52/AVO/740cc/Up/Down | 238awhp | 50-80mph 3.1 seconds.

that spread sheet is test data. :) It shows how much 'power' a flywheel would consume, by gear. You adjust the weight of the thing and subtract. Much better than subjective tests, imo., because so FEW folk have the ability to do back-to-back tests. :)
SOLD | '06 spec.B - VF52/AVO/740cc/Up/Down | 238awhp | 50-80mph 3.1 seconds.

Archived