LegacyGT.com

2000 Legacy Wagon on craigslist...is this worth it?

I presently have a 2005 Outback Wagon, which I love. It has low miles and I want to keep it that way. I'm looking for a daily driver (100 miles round trip per day). I found a 2000 Legacy Wagon on craigslist on the cheap. It's in fair shape, but recently had a good bit of costly work done:

* O2 sensor replaced 12/2007

* headgaskets resealed 12/2007

* exhaust system replaced 12/2007

* catalytic converter replaced 12/2007

The lady (original owner) showed me dealer receipts totaling $3318.82 from 12/2007. She sunk a lot of $ into it just 3 months ago.

I test drove it and noticed 2 potential show-stoppers. One the A/C doesn't work. She told me it's probably a $200 fix, but I am skeptical.

The more concerning issue is clutch slippage. It's a 5spd. When you put it into gear and accelerate, the engine revs and it doesn't necessarily "catch" all the way. It drives fine, but if you give it gas while in gear, it will rev up, then slowly decrease as it picks up speed. I interpret this as needing a clutch, but she told me it's been replaced 3 times. This makes me think it's more the transmission (scary). She also told me the Subaru dealer in Jacksonville, FL (where she had the repairs) couldn't figure out why the engine/transmission was slipping. :orly:

She is asking $3,995 for it, and said she'd go to $3,000 if there is no interest after this weekend. I figure $1,000 for a clutch and $400 for the A/C would give me a pretty good daily driver for under $5k.

Other than the above concerns, it drives solid.

Thoughts?

Here is the craigslist posting:

http://savannah.craigslist.org/car/597334605.html

$3000 is reasonable offer for this car. It's a Legacy L so the amenities are few and there's no LSD rear axle or center diff. Mileage seems high, but if everything else is good, and she has all of the maintenance documentation on it since new, I'd buy it.

Pay particular attention to whether this was always dealer maintained at the service intervals and particularly whether it has Subaru coolant and conditioner in it from routine maintenance and the headgasket replacement. Have the brakes been serviced at the 30K intervals?

Not sure if the L comes with the cruise control or not, but that's an easy add. It is a great road/cruising car.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived