LegacyGT.com

quick question re: rear passenger doors

Colonel Angus

this with regards to removing the door panels on rear passenger doors. i plan on finally replacing the stock rear speakers. i faded the stereo to the rears by themselves, and man, do they sound brutal. anyway, i assume you roll the windows down.

my next question is, can i just pop the panel off by popping out the pop its, or do i have to remove the handles first, like you do with the front doors?

hopefully the above made sense.

thanks!

You DON'T need to roll down the window. You'll have to remove the handle first. There are 2 screws there, and then you need to pop out the little plastic piece where the lever is to actually open the door. There's another screw back there. Then you just pop off the panel by pulling it and popping out all the pop its. BE CAREFULL THOUGH!!! Firstly, the handle is a PITA to take off. And secondly, there's the 2 chords for the lock and door lever, there's a wire/connector for the window switch, and there's another wire/connector for the light(I forget if the rears have the lights?) Just becareful and take your time. Good luck.

Yep, take them off just like the fronts.

No speakers will sound really good back there (to listeners in the front) so don't wast too much time/money on this. The front speakers are more important to full range sound. The rears only provide some low-mid filler.

CRaig

you should ALWAYS disconnect the battery before doing anything electrical....Its just some speakers, so you MAY be able to get away without doing it, but a good rule of thumb is always play it safe.

Reminds me of forgeting to disconnect the battery in my last car when i was quickly trying to adjust some wires to an amp....once you get that nice shock, you certainly won't forget again, not to mention the hassle of having to replace the fuse, etc, etc....

If you could take some pictures, especially with the door pannel off, they would be greatly appretiated. Let us know how the 6.5's fit too. Good luck!

you should ALWAYS disconnect the battery before doing anything electrical....Its just some speakers, so you MAY be able to get away without doing it, but a good rule of thumb is always play it safe.

Reminds me of forgeting to disconnect the battery in my last car when i was quickly trying to adjust some wires to an amp....once you get that nice shock, you certainly won't forget again, not to mention the hassle of having to replace the fuse, etc, etc....

If you could take some pictures, especially with the door pannel off, they would be greatly appretiated. Let us know how the 6.5's fit too. Good luck!

good call. if i get the panel out, i'll snap some shots.

ok, how do i get this back plate off thats behind the door handle?

it seems like it's in there pretty good, and i dont want to accidentally break it.

i know there's a little slot up top in the middle, where i can slide a flathead screwdriver in, but it wont budge

thanks

DSC01736.JPG.db8b80451e473a7ce1fdc55162347117.JPG

I hooked a paint can opener tool in the little slot and pulled towards me....

Craig

well finally, thanks for the response!

i guess i'll have to make do with the flathead. like i said before, that bastard's in there pretty tight. any suggestions as to the least difficult way to get the handle grips off?

The grips are easy once I figured it out, but they had me stumped for a while. What you need to do is push up on the silver plastic around the top of the handle. As you open a gap there, you will see that there is a little nub on the handle cover that fits into a hole in the silver plastic. You need to get the nub out, pull the handle cover towards you and rotate towards the front of the car (to release other clips). It will make a lot more sense once you have one out and can look at it.

Craig

P.S. Lowe's, Home Depot, and most any hardware store give out those paint can opener tools for free -- just go up to the paint counter and ask for one. It's the perfect tool for getting the little cover out from behind the lever. You could also put a flat head screwdriver in a vise and curl the tip a little.

The grips are easy once I figured it out, but they had me stumped for a while. What you need to do is push up on the silver plastic around the top of the handle. As you open a gap there, you will see that there is a little nub on the handle cover that fits into a hole in the silver plastic. You need to get the nub out, pull the handle cover towards you and rotate towards the front of the car (to release other clips). It will make a lot more sense once you have one out and can look at it.

Craig

P.S. Lowe's, Home Depot, and most any hardware store give out those paint can opener tools for free -- just go up to the paint counter and ask for one. It's the perfect tool for getting the little cover out from behind the lever. You could also put a flat head screwdriver in a vise and curl the tip a little.

again, thanks for the info!

:D

Archived