LegacyGT.com

Best way to re-tap plastic hole?

Living Legacy

Hey guys,

When I went to reinstall my stereo, one of the screws would not go back in easy. Rather than force it in I left it out for the time being as I have to take the damn thing apart again soon.

Aside from putting all the other screws in partially before attempting this last one, what is the best way to make this work? A buddy of mine told me to just screw it in and it will create new threads that can be used, would you really advise doing this? Should I just go out and buy a tap and die kit and re-tap the hole? Remember that these are plastic threads...

Any help is appreciated as I don't want my legacy to turn into the pile that my Prelude is...

your best bet would be to use what is called a "u" clip. it is a curved piece of metal with 2 holes in it. it's designed to be used to hold thin sheet metal together, but they come in various sizes.

something like these:http://www.northlandfasteners.com/catalog/db6.html

you can find them at napa stores and other body supply places. just slide it over the tabe with the bum threads and the screw will be secured by the thread in the "u" nut......

Archived