LegacyGT.com

Reckless Driving Thread

Metal2You

Feel free to post your stories of reckless driving, unprovoked or otherwise. Here is mine:

I turn left at a traffic light onto a low-traffic side road and use 2nd gear to nearly its fullest potential, quickly accelerating to the posted speed limit. Then I notice some goon in a silver SUV accelerating up behind me. Once he catches up to me he follows directly on my rear bumper. This is while I'm cursing at the posted speed limit.

Then I take a left onto the 50 MPH turnpike near my office, and accelerate up to the posted speed limit, leaving the schmuck in my tracks. This waste of sperm then proceeds to come up behind me, doing well over the speed limit, and "dive-bombs" me in my lane. Both of his left wheels are in my left lane, his mirrors frighteningly close to mine. Of course the goon then swerves back into his lane and proceeds down the road.

The aforementioned goon's license plate and vehicle description were then reported to state and local police.

Care to clarify your inquiry? You like to be run off the road by douche-bags? You've never driven above the posted speed limit?

Sure, no comment (read you are an idiot), no

Did you read the rules of the forum BTW? You are stupid :p

Was racing at Seattle International Raceway in early March 99. I was sitting in the pits talking to other racers, when I notice a 94-95 Camaro SS pull up.

We got to talking. His car was stock, except for a drop in filter I think. I showed him my car parked down the road. Well, when they called for Test and

Tune racers, I asked if he was willing to get beat by a 6 cyl. He laughed and said, "yeah right! Lets go!". We got in line side by side. (Oh, I forgot to

tell him about my NOS..snicker, snicker!) I let him stage 1st then rolled into the lights. I put my tach at about 2250-2350 rpms and waited. Well the light

turned green and we both launched. I beat him off the line, that is, until I floored it and the NOS caused some really crappy wheel spin. But I was still

beside him. As I hit 2nd then 3rd I was about half a length in front of him. Just as we were crossing the traps, he edged ahead. I thought he beat me,

until I got my slip...

I ran:

RT: .350 (.850 for some tracks)

60ft: 2.33 (slower than w/o NOS :-(, I had a 60ft time of 2.19 off the

bottle...)

ET: 14.617@99

He ran:

RT: .703 (1.203 for some tracks)

60ft: 2.438

ET: 14.477@96

BUT....I WON! I got the hole shot and crossed the line FIRST!! Woohoo! Now if I can learn to launch while on the juice, I may gain .2-4

After the race, he came over and offered the customary "What the F@#K! Whatcha got in that thing??!??"

I never told him....hehe

14 Jan, 2002

What started out as a quiet, cold Monday morning, turned into an automotive battle fit for LeMans, Monaco, Puyallup...

As I motor down the hill, the Miata purrs along...towards the light where I turn left, I slow in the turn lane, as my signal has just went to yellow, from Green. Listening to Jackie and Bender on 106.1FM, I throttle up, as my lights are turning to green. As on coming traffic approaches, I move out into the middle of the intersection to prepare for my left turn. The first vehicle passes me, and the next is approaching. The late-model Civic coupe is not signaling, but I see the car veer off, to make a right turn. I initiated my turn into the left lane, as he completes his turn into the right lane. Now, I really wasnt in a hurry, but I went WOT in 1st, and 2nd. I see his car lurch a bit, and he paces me. I stay on the gas, and edge ahead, while he slows, due to a car in his lane. As traffic clears, he pulls in behind me (getcher minds out of the gutter)...and we near another intersection with a red light. He pulls to my Right, and turns right, as the light goes Green. I hop across the intersection, and take a right into the Chevron. As I stop, and get out of the car, I see he's pulled into the parking lot of the gas station, and is awaiting a beverage at a local Espresso stand. His car looks stock, save for aftermarket (Stock Sized http://forums.probetalk.com/images/smilies/icon_tdown.gif - I HATE it when ppl do that...buy new rims, but keep them at 14", but I digress) rims. As I fuel my MX5, I keep an eye on the Civic...As I'm nearing "Topped Off", I see him get his coffee, and Chirp his tires as he pulls back onto the road w/ some attitude. I grab my receipt, and slide into my leather (calm down, Kirk) trimmed cockpit (Calm down, Jordan). I buzz around the back of the Station, and out onto the street. He's about 1/8 mile ahead, in the left lane. Now, I wont say I am a GREAT driver, but I know my way around traffic. If traffic skills were a "FORCE" I'd be OBD - Wan - Kenobi. I glide thru traffic, passing on the LEFT and driving on the RIGHT (a concept 99.5% of People CANT Grasp, and its a FREAKIN LAW!!). We get up to another light, and I see him in the left lane still.

"ahh...an EX", I note...His License Plate reads 1BASQUE. Anyone have any ideas on that one?? I am in the right lane, behind a bus, which takes a Right on the Red, thus allowing me to scoot up. I look over at this 20-something guy with dark hair. He looks my direction, and noses ahead. As the cross lights turn yellow, I bring the rev's to about 2600, and hear him start to rev. At the GREEN, I hear him burn out a bit, as my car immediately enters clutch-slip, but at least I was MOVING, not spinning. I have him by a nose thru 1st gear, me shifting at 6500, with only the SLIGHTEST lift of the gas pedal, to second. At second, he is pulling a little, until I shift to 3rd gear, and I put about 2 more feet on him. The nose of his car is about even with my rear wheel, and its about stuck like that. As luck would have it we are approaching a car - in HIS lane...he backs down, as do I. We motor along for about 1/2 a mile, until traffic clears. He sneaks up beside me, and we approach yet another intersection with a red light. I think quick...

"I am NOT going to drag race this guy through town"

I bust a hard right at the intersection, while the FREE RIGHT TURN lamp is illuminated, taking the 90o corner about 25mph. I scurry along, noticing his light has JUST turned green, with me about 100 yards past the intersection. Taking some of the cross streets, I maneuver the Miata with the precision of a Scalpel in the hands of a (good) Brain surgeon. Darting in and out, traversing the city of Bremerton, and no more than 5mph over the speed limit, but making GOOD decisions on when and where to change streets to avoid stops. As I get to the outskirts of town, I am stopped at a light when I notice familiar late-model civic headlights come up behind me.

"yeah baby! who's your daddy!" I say to the car in my rear-view. There are two lanes, I am in the right lane (as is the LAW). At GREEN, I motor through the intersection at a brisk-yet-safe speed, with BASQUE behind me, as the lights reveal before I cross the intersection. I see him close the distance behind me, as if he is about to pass. But up ahead is a 25 mph corner. As we are traveling about 45 now, I'm pretty convinced I can embarrass him. I accelerate to 50, and hold a steady throttle through the corner. As the front end starts to push? I lift throttle, which snaps the back, outside corner up, and aligns me for the exit of the corner. BASQUE is now about 5 lengths behind me. http://forums.probetalk.com/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

"Thank you Mr. Bilstein!" I offer, to the guy who made my shocks/coils, etc. As we move into a Freeway (turnpike, to you Easterners), I set the cruise control about 6mph over the speed limit, and drive along. After a few minutes, I see BASQUE coming up behind me. He gets over into the left lane, and just stays there, like a bastard, not passing me, but keeping his car at my left-rear fender. I brake, slightly, so he shoots ahead. There is a small section of road where the speed limit drops to 40mph. I reduce speed to 46, and as traffic continues through the "esses" (the reason for the drop in speed), I let the Cruise Control keep my speed constant. What do you know? I catch the guy again, as he slows for the corners. Eventually, the road straightens out, and we separate. He wanted to drive 75 in the 60mph zone...I don't do more than about 66. But speed is not enough...If you will remember, I have "Strong Kung-Fu" in dealing with traffic. I plan my lane changes based on what traffic ahead of me is doing - NOT the traffic immediately around me. Using my strategy of "Right lane TOO the exit, Left lane During, and Right lane AFTER the exit" I end up getting within 3 cars of BASQUE (who had been miles ahead of me, during the non-traffic areas). I see him jump to the RIGHT lane. I can see up ahead, how the right lane is stifled, so I slither to the left lane, which nearly immediately speeds up. Just before the "Bridge", (where there are no lane-changes allowed), I get up beside BASQUE. He is following, rather closely, a large Ford Van. There is nothing ahead of me, for perhaps 200 feet, so I position myself just beside BASQUE, and slightly ahead... I keep there, for about 30 seconds, just to make sure he Notices me...give him ONE SINGLE Hazard-Flash, before closing the distance on the car in front of me. The cars behind me kept close enough to prevent him from moving over.

I never saw BASQUE again....Some say, he still roams the state Highways, looking for the Miata which stole his sole. I think he just took an exit.

(shrug)

22 Aug 2002:

En Route to work this morning, I happened to notice what appeared at the time, to be a 3 series BWM behind me about 1/4 mile, on the freeway. I noted one of his driving lights was out. I have one out too...

As he was rapidly approaching, I was guesing it to be an M variety, as his wider-that-usual tires became appearant.

I sublty down-shift to 4th.....

I sublty smirk....

With my speedo reading about 65mph - just slow enough to let him catch up easily, I maintained even throttle pressure until the nose of his car got at my door. With a quick blip of the gas, I shot ahead to about 75mph...maybe 1 second? 2 tops.

http://forums.probetalk.com/images/smilies/icon_shrug.gif

Then I backed off to see if he would play. As luck would have it, he WOULD play http://forums.probetalk.com/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif As he approached again, nearing my door, I distinctly half-heard, half-saw him get on it. I instantly went WOT watching my speedo shoot from ~70 to 90. A glance in my rear view and I see him about 3 car lengths behind me. To rub it in just a tad, I take it WOT to 5th gear, backing off at xxx-mph. He was probably 150 feet behind me at this point - I didn't measure...just guessing. After I was soundly ahead, I backed off to my cruising speed of 67mph. He passed me within a couple seconds at about 75mph or so...I offered a thumbs up...he nodded. As he went by I found the reason I had so soundly beaten him... 325is was marked on the rear of the car. http://forums.probetalk.com/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

An M3 would have given a much more solid race.

I really don't do much racing of this nature, but considering this lasted what? 6-8 seconds? And the freeway was soo very empty...I figured...

SOLD | '06 spec.B - VF52/AVO/740cc/Up/Down | 238awhp | 50-80mph 3.1 seconds.

Archived