LegacyGT.com

driving manners

tothenet

Hi guys,

I know this type of thread is not interesting but I just like to share the opinion.

I came from Santa Clara so I am not familiar with driving manners here. Two incident in this this week drove me to write this. My opion is that, the first lane should be for high speed traffic. Do you agree?

I just follow the traffic unless the car right in front of me is not doing his job. I quickly change the lane and speed up to 90mph and change back to first lane and follow the traffic. While doing that, lots lazy guy in front of me suddenly boosts up and try to fight with me, Legacy GT. Last sunday, I was driving on 805 northbound and Ford focus irritated me ranging 65 to 75mph. I changed lane and speed up as usual but she boosted up to 90mph. I could pass at 95mph. wow!! I was surprised to see that ford focus was driving at 90mph. Must be full accel.

Just now, I was driving southbound 805 and black maxima blocked my way by driving at 75. I was at 82. Since he didn't seem to hurry up, I quickly changed lane and passed him around 200 feet. He gave me highbeam several times and tailgaiting me for more than 10 minutes. Did I irritate him? really not comfortable driving here since this type of incident boiled down to a few gun fire in this area.

Is there anybody living in San Diego? How do you feel about this?

Welcome to San Diego and it's own driving culture.

Locally (different than LA and further north), if the traffic is moving at 70 in the slower lanes, the fast lane is moving at 80-85 unless there is a lot of room on the # 2 lane than the #1 laners will move over and drive 80-85 in #2.

WRT - passing and being accelerated against - this phenomenom seems to be prevalent all over the state. Seems like the rule is, if you're driving a performance car (or at least a "perceived" performance car), and the other driver is likewise driving a true/perceived performance car, then the moment you go to make a pass, on the left or right, you'll be accelerated against. Not sure why that is but that's a "typical" scenario.

When I come up on someone travelling less quickly in the #1, I initially back off to give the #1 laner a chance to move over. Doesn't happen very often but, sometimes they actually do move over, more often, they will just keep going steady state or will even slow down .

If they don't move over, then I wait for chance to pass unimpeded on the right. If the conditions from the above scenario are present, similar to your Maxima example, then chances are good that they will attempt to accelerate to block me from getting back into the #1 lane. This really ticks me off, especially since I waited for them to move over and they now are intentionally speeding up to maintain their lane dominance.

How do you work it? Just realize that some drivers want their cake and eat it too before you can have any - they want their lane and want to keep you out of it. I don't condone street racing or freeway gambling/chess so if someone wants to be an azshat, then so be it and let them go. Find your quiet place and ignore the toids.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Welcome to San Diego and it's own driving culture.

Locally (different than LA and further north), if the traffic is moving at 70 in the slower lanes, the fast lane is moving at 80-85 unless there is a lot of room on the # 2 lane than the #1 laners will move over and drive 80-85 in #2.

WRT - passing and being accelerated against - this phenomenom seems to be prevalent all over the state. Seems like the rule is, if you're driving a performance car (or at least a "perceived" performance car), and the other driver is likewise driving a true/perceived performance car, then the moment you go to make a pass, on the left or right, you'll be accelerated against. Not sure why that is but that's a "typical" scenario.

When I come up on someone travelling less quickly in the #1, I initially back off to give the #1 laner a chance to move over. Doesn't happen very often but, sometimes they actually do move over, more often, they will just keep going steady state or will even slow down .

If they don't move over, then I wait for chance to pass unimpeded on the right. If the conditions from the above scenario are present, similar to your Maxima example, then chances are good that they will attempt to accelerate to block me from getting back into the #1 lane. This really ticks me off, especially since I waited for them to move over and they now are intentionally speeding up to maintain their lane dominance.

How do you work it? Just realize that some drivers want their cake and eat it too before you can have any - they want their lane and want to keep you out of it. I don't condone street racing or freeway gambling/chess so if someone wants to be an azshat, then so be it and let them go. Find your quiet place and ignore the toids.

SBT

glad to see this is not just an NC thing. i usually cruise in the 76-82mph range therefore i always drive in the fast lane (assume you call that lane #1). in my neck of the woods it's rare for anyone to come up on my back bumper, hell i *usually* have the entire left lane to myself for the first 30miles of my commute to work. however there are occasions where someone else is in the lane. like SBT said, i back off and give them a chance to move over. sometimes they don't especially when a 18wheeler is in the right lane, and thats understandable. other times they dont and i have no idea why.

perfect example..2nights ago im coming home. i got the cruise set on 80mph and im in the left lane. i see this truck ahead so i start backing down the cruise as not to run up on him then slam on brakes (i HATE that!). i get the cruise backed down to 70mph and the guy doesn't move over. i ride behind him thinking that something was in the right lane preventing him from moving over. after a minute of this i straddle the line (there's nothig behind use for like 2miles) only to find out there was nothing in the right lane as far as the eye could see. so i move on over set the cruise back to 80 and pass him and get infront of him. i check the rear view mirror be4 i crested the hill and the dude was still doing 70 in the left lane.

Kenda

Same in Michigan, but I can usually get the slip on a Focus before they know what's up. Maximas may be a little tougher. My philosophy is always let the guy who will go faster than you go faster. If there's someone coming up in my lane, I'll move over for them. That way, they get pulled over instead of me. No tickets for 3 years.

Same in Michigan, but I can usually get the slip on a Focus before they know what's up. Maximas may be a little tougher. My philosophy is always let the guy who will go faster than you go faster. If there's someone coming up in my lane, I'll move over for them. That way, they get pulled over instead of me. No tickets for 3 years.

yeah if someone is hauling the mail i'll get out of their way b/c that's what i would like people to do for me. no tickets in 6yrs of driving.

Kenda

now im going to find some wood to knock on

Here in San Diego, speed doesn't really seem to matter. Even I happened to drive at 85mph left lane of CHP and he didn't really care. No ticket for 3 years as well.

I always move over for higher speed traffic but, I happen to see drivers blocking me and slow me down almost every day. Before LegacyGT, I had been driving Ford Explorer 4.0L so it was quite a job to pass ahead since it's slow, fat guy. I like Legacy because I am already ahead of them even before they realize what's happening and respond.

Archived