LegacyGT.com

How TO: Get rid of Glare w/ Stock Headlights and HID

MiniStiGuy

you don't have to cover them at all if you don't want to because even OEM units have a hole. The problem becomes when to much of a hole allows to much out to glare. Personally I don't notice a difference with them not covered vs covered as far as looking down the road is concerned but if I look at them from an oncoming car's perspective than it is much better with them covered.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

MiniStiGuy, your threads keep popping up in all my searches!!

I am considering doing this (filling the squirrelfuckers) and it seems possible to fill without baking things apart, so I want to try that next weekend. Do you know how other people have attempted it? I have short fingers...

There must be some techniques, tools, etc.

MiniStiGuy, your threads keep popping up in all my searches!!

I am considering doing this (filling the squirrelfuckers) and it seems possible to fill without baking things apart, so I want to try that next weekend. Do you know how other people have attempted it? I have short fingers...

There must be some techniques, tools, etc.

check out my post earlier http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2836275&postcount=44

I got the idea from Carmy's Forum, I followed, it works! Although it is not 100% covers! I guess the hole in Legacy housing is open in both vertical and horizontal plate. Following this suggestion would cover vertical plate's hole perfectly. There is still some "leaking of light", but i found it very acceptable. It leaves some light shine on road sign that is very close to car!

check out my post earlier http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2836275&postcount=44

I got the idea from Carmy's Forum, I followed, it works! Although it is not 100% covers! I guess the hole in Legacy housing is open in both vertical and horizontal plate. Following this suggestion would cover vertical plate's hole perfectly. There is still some "leaking of light", but i found it very acceptable. It leaves some light shine on road sign that is very close to car!

Ooooh that looks nice. I will do just that. Thanks.

Ok, so I tried filling the holes without baking the lamps apart. Not possible with the Camry forum technique. The flap was in the way. So first I bent it out and tried again. Still practically impossible because I found the pencil would peel away from the double sided tape, leaving the foam tape inside the projector, which I didn't like the idea of. So what I did instead was use some muffler putty and placed it all around squirrel hole before bending the flap over it. From what I can tell, the flap is affixed only either side to the main shield, so bending it shouldn't bend the main shield. It is also for this reason that when it's merely bent, a sliver of light will escape through the middle portion above the cutoff, at least that's my theory. My hope is that the combination of muffler putty and bent flap will be enough to knock out the squirrel finders.

It's still daylight out, so I haven't had a chance to check out the new beam pattern yet.

I used muffler putty on mine as well. But I have had my lights apart 10+ times so it was done one of the many times. I have some new shields I'm working on right now that I'll put in one of these days which of course means they are opening up again.. lol Going to mess with my lens holder as well and try out a few different combinations. Also going to wet sand down the pits and repolish the lamps and throw on some sealant glaze or something on them.

Of course all of this is only when I get off my lazy ass to do it... :lol:

I reached in and pushed the flap closed. Done deal looks fine and cutoff is good..

"Fine" to you is probably "terrible" to MiniStiGuy. :lol::lol:

Now that it's darker I've had a look at the cutoff. The good news is that glare is greatly reduced. The bad news is that one side has a bit more light above the cutoff than the other...

there is a disadvantage to a flat cutoff being that the higher step allows the light on the opposite side of traffic to light up the side of the road at a further distance allowing you to see road signs, deer, chewbacca, sasquach, etc... a lot sooner so you don't hit them and destroy your car (or leave a sasquach in a bad mood). The other option for you is to do custom shields which you can read about making on hidplanet.com.

Ah yes, now I understand, probably be best to have as much visibility in the ditch as possible. Not to many chewbacca or sasquatch sighting around these parts, but deer... them we've got plenty of. Maybe I'll see about making up some custom shields, been doing a lot of reading on hidplanet.com lately. Thanks for the info. :-)

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bump an old thread here, but I'm currently using my weekend to install a Volt HID kit and to close the squirrel spotters while I'm at it.

Anyways, I've got my lights out and I noticed that the squirrel finder flaps aren't really flaps at all (5th gen). They're more like pockets. They have vertical supports on the sides that make it impossible to bend it out of the way to block them using the methods described here on the forum and here on the recommended Toyota forum.

What I did to block them was use aluminum foil formed into triangular prisms (38mm wide, 10mm at the thick edge) covered with JB Weld. I then used suture tweezers to drop the prism into the "pocket" and then compressed the mass to fit the shape of the pocket.

I'm not really sure how well it worked. It's in the curing stage now, so I'll test it out in the morning.

Archived