LegacyGT.com

The pause that refreshes...(Legacy review feedback)

People have been waiting for Legacy reviews, and now that the press embargo has lifted, we are getting some preliminary ones (three so far: a Canadian review, Edmunds and Subdriven). There will be many more, no doubt, as predicted by us all. But, a note of caution here: People have been flying off the handle at various aspects of the reviews that highlight performance that might not have met their expectations about what reviewers were going to say about the car. To that, I say chill. Aside from instrumented performance testing, car reviews are subjective assessments based on a reviewer's likes, dislikes and expectations. One reviewer might say the Legacy's suspension is too hard, another might say "it isn't a WRX." Both are right, and wrong, because ultimately the only review that matters is your own. Do YOU like the car? We will all be able to drive them soon enough, and experience them for ourselves. Until then, keep reviews in perspective. The three we have seen have all been very positive, which augurs well for the car. But never let a review sell a car for you. Never forget that it's all subjective, even your own evaluation, but this is the rating system that counts the most. Kevin

Kevin, I hate to point this out, but rational postings have no place on the internet. Online forums should be used to give knee-jerk, emotional and entirely ill-informed opinions. Obviously, I am kidding and completely agree with your posting. So far, the Legacy -- and to a lesser extent -- the Outback, are 3-for-3 in early reviews, which is more than enough to make me happy. Personally, one of the most impresive attributes of the new Legacy to me has been the quality of the interior materials. My brother drives a Cadillac CTS and the new Legacy simply makes it seem like a child's toy in comparison. My point is, everyone will have things that they really like or dislike about the new Legacy and just because a reviewer doesn't focus on one specific thing doesn't mean all is lost. Reviews are all about personal perspective and saying what you can in a limited amount of space. Cheers, Subaru-aholic.

Archived