LegacyGT.com

Smelly ?5EAT

boris

Ok, I need help. I just took my 2005 OBXT in for the 60K service. As soon as I drove it home I smelled a strong burning fluid smell. It didn't really smell like engine oil, but I assumed that some residual fluid had gotten onto the exhaust and that it would dissipate with time. After driving for a few days I then noticed a subtle noise which I think is coming from the transmission. I only hear it after a spirited drive when the engine is very warm. I hear a slight humming type noise when I shift from Drive to Park or from Drive to Reverse. There is no noise in drive, only in Park or Reverse. The noise is hard to describe, but definitely not there before the service. The odor has gotten a little better, but is still present after the car is driven harder than average. The noise and odor are most noticeable inside the car, and not from outside. I took the car back to the dealer and they tried hard to find the problem, but said that everything is in order. All fluid levels are OK.

Any ideas what is going on?? Would the wrong tranny fluid cause these symptoms?? What do I do at this point? The dealer is being very helpful, but they can't recreate the problem.

FYI my car has stock engine/tranny, and has been problem free for 60K miles. Thanks.

Poor Boris, they stuffed your ride at the service.

I had mine serviced and then developed tranny squealing noise which took them months to fix.

See if you can find Unclemat. He is the man to ask and is very helpful and smart.

• 2 weeks later...

well due to the overwhelming response, I thought I better give an update...

The odor resolved, turns out it likely was just residual fluid burn off. The noise became gradually worse until the car was making really awful sounds simply driving down the road. The dealer looked at it yet again and found a loose transmission mounting bolt that had been loosened during the spark plug change and not properly tightened down afterwards. The car is running perfectly again now.

Archived