LegacyGT.com

Big scratch on my rear bumper

sperlyjinx

Well, I guess I should be used to it by now since I park on the street in Boston, but someone put a huge scratch into the left corner of my rear bumper! The way people park around here is absolutely atrocious. Basically, they use the bumpers of cars as guides to get into a parking spot. I hate Boston drivers...the worst!!

You should see what the bumpers on my last Subaru Outback looked like after parking on these godforsaken streets for 3 years. Horrible. It took hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars off of the trade-in value. On my new legacy, I have the paint protection film installed on the bumper. This helped a little bit, but there is still a big mark on the bumper where it is not covered by the film. ARRGGH!

Try living in Richmond where all you can do ANYWHERE is parallel park on the street - its a mess for any car.

Then to top it off, many of my 'friends' feel that bumpers are called that because they should be bumped into when they're trying to parallel park. And I say 'friends' because anytime they try to do it when I'm in the car, I throw a fit - they don't like that.... hey! someone's gotta look out for the cars out there.

I know how you feel.... 2 weeks into owning my gt, got rammed from behind by a middle aged female driving a bomb. At first glance, it didn't look like much damage to my car... mostly because she mainly ran into the towbar!

On closer inspection - the scratches were fairly deep ... and she was covering it anyway... so got a new bumper installed (ordered in from Sydney). Had to also trust the repairers to match the paint (which by the way was fairly close i must say). The quality of the bumper wasn't that good though... several areas where the plastic hadn't been smoothed over (maybe the repairers should've sanded it down after the inital layer?!). Was tempted to just get a rear under spoiler instead - but not much was really out back then (Feb 04).

But once all the dust etc settles (all that damn black soot!) - can't really tell anymore.

• 1 month later...

hey, wondering how much it cost you to get your rear bumper replaced. We just got rammed up the tail today and the boot is damaged too, obviously the bumper is demolished. And the right light is scratched.

How much would the insurance company be looking at here, i was thinkin around 2grand or so. None of our concern really bout the money, but it sucks to have a 3month old car get ruined like that.

Can subaru get brand new bumpers in already painted, as the MY05 is still being produced?

Ummm.... dunno about pre-painted bumpers (i suspect not). I think 2g's sounds probably about right (at least). Actually, I just got dingered again this evening around Crown. Towbar was mildly warped, and scuff marks on the bumper. Mild but very annoying.

As a side note - are there any rear bodykit type bumpers that anyone's aware of? I must say the Blitzen 2005 rear bumper is fairly decent.

Bummer. We leave the trailer hitch on our 2000 LGT wagon so that's the car we take into the city. It helps defend, but the corners of the bumper are still vulnerable.

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

I got a hit and run 2 nights ago. The left rear corner bumper is pushed in, left tail light broken and my trunk is a little off (probably because of the bumper). The bumper cover is $226 and the tail light is $120 or something like that. The bumper does NOT come painted so I'll have to hope my body shop does a good job.

Well, I guess I should be used to it by now since I park on the street in Boston, but someone put a huge scratch into the left corner of my rear bumper! The way people park around here is absolutely atrocious. Basically, they use the bumpers of cars as guides to get into a parking spot. I hate Boston drivers...the worst!!

You should see what the bumpers on my last Subaru Outback looked like after parking on these godforsaken streets for 3 years. Horrible. It took hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars off of the trade-in value. On my new legacy, I have the paint protection film installed on the bumper. This helped a little bit, but there is still a big mark on the bumper where it is not covered by the film. ARRGGH!

Is there paint missing on it? It may be possible to rub that out. Go to wherever you buy car care products at and get a tube of Meguiar's ScratchX. I use that for bumper rubs all the time. It may just be some paint swaping and you can clean it off. ScratchX is really good at that type of thing. It may not look good as new, but it will look a whole lot better than it does now, that's for sure.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived