LegacyGT.com

Jiffy Lube Dorks

Just a word to everyone out there (at least all the schmucks like me who still have someone else change their oil) - when the Jiffy Lube technician bets you he can have your signature service knocked out in 5 minutes or less, expect problems. In fact, I'm starting to think that if you allow ANYONE to touch your car, whether it be a mechanic or a buddy borrowing it to hit the 7-11 for some smokes, expect it to come back broken in some way.

As soon as I pulled away from the 4 minute oil change, I noticed a rougher than normal idle. Over the next few days, the car would intermittently stumble and the idle would hunt at lights. I knew in the back of my head those dorks at Jiffy Lube had done something, but I hoped it would just go away. Finally, after the 3rd day (at which time the CEL came on and my cruise control dash light started flashing) I popped the hood to see if I could find anything, and shocker of all shockers it took me all of about 2 seconds to find it, and other things. First off, the dip stick was put in rotated the wrong way (not a major disaster, but you'd think all this guy does all day is play with his dipstick, so at least get that part right). Then I noticed the filler cap was loose. Next, it looked like either oil or acid had been splattered all over the battery and was now coated (they supposedly check, or try and check, your battery fluid level). Finally, and the source of my problem, the jackass left the air filter box hanging open, which was causing the intake air sensor to read improperly.

After snapping, rotating and cleaning everything to my satisfaction, and clearing the CEL, I started up and have had no problems since.

I'm sure I'm not telling any of you anything new, but don't let anyone touch your ride. Especially someone making side bets working at the Jiffy Lube.

Thanks for listening

I have to have my oil changed a valvoline oil change here in RI cause im at school and dont have the tools or the place to change my oil in the parking lot with snow and ice on the ground, but I do try to do whatever I can myself or take it to a mechanic I trust. I haven't had any problems with this specific valvoline other than when he pulled the dipstick out he dripped a little oil on the engine cover, but i watched him get a rag and wipe it off... They are also a full garage the guys seem pretty decent I always took my Chrysler there with no problems. Once i graduate ill do it myself but I cant say anything negative about their work. i tell them to check nothing just change the oil and top off the wiper fluid... Dont need them fudging around with battery, transmission, air filter. Just need them to change the oil

Archived