LegacyGT.com

question about clutch during break-in period

ChugokuOtaku

got my 2.5i for over a week now, there car now has over 500 miles... I haven't read through the entire manual yet, but I do have a few questions...

on a few occasions, I had to back the car up on an incline, which requires quite a bit of clutch slip, and I noticed that when it slips quite a bit, there's this burning smell every time. This happens to be my first new car, and I've never driven a car during break in period... is this normal?

question regarding the shifter... When I test drove the vehicle, I noticed that the shifter seems to vibrate a lot harder than any other stick shift I've tried. The salesman told me that this has to do with the design of Subaru's Symmetrical AWD. I have the habit of keeping my hand on the shifter when I drive, and noticed that if I hold it more than 10 minutes, my hand actually becomes numb from the vibration. I checked the transmission section in the manual, and it advises one shouldn't "rest" his/her hand on the shifter when not shifting, to prevent damage to the transmission(can't remember exact wording). Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Archived