LegacyGT.com

Pinks+Bilsteins installed!

ping

I have made it through the rite of passage that is undoing the rear lower shock bolts! Not before I bled in my glove though. 8hrs of my life gone too.

I have pinks in the fronts, wagon JDM spec B in the rear (reputedly same rate as pink rear, less the ride ht reduction) , with JDM rev C GT Bilsteins. Pic on left is the way it was on day 1 of ownership, stock. Pic on right is with pink and yellow goodness inside. I rode on a stock set up prior to this (44k mi).

Ride is surprising, considering the % change in spring rate, esp. in the front. I can make up stuff about compression damping and stiction and NVH, but I'll save you any 'expert' analysis. Instead I present the Bottom Line: my wife thought it was barely different from stock. (we have our share of wretched black top in San Diego).

Alignment and Handling: I cranked in as much negative camber as I could in the front. I measured -1.3 deg on the left and -1.4 deg on the right when I was done. A pleasant surprise -> lowering (~3/4")+ more negative camber (~-1.3) yielded negligible toe change with the new struts. I measured about 0.2degree toe out at each wheel. Saved some $ on alignment! The car corners flatter (duh!), but a big improvement is in reserve grip during turn in. The car is a lot more flingable. But to you guys running a bigger RSB..... I admire your car control. Plenty of rear end action the way it is :lol:

I really need to wear out those wretched RE92s now....

IMG_0541.thumb.jpg.44cceb20069bdaa39fef74daa29f76a7.jpg

IMG_2208.thumb.jpg.f9fd5f1dbcb36114a03fc20c25972cf5.jpg

(Shux) thx all!

I got all my components (er.. 'pre-owned') here!

1) pinks (thanks hal9e3).

2) revC GT Billys + SpecB springs (thanks morrisok)

Then I let them age in my garage 6 months <- most important ; miss this step at your peril:lol:

Looks great and the wheel gaps appear to be fairly even. Regarding the ride, I guess there's a big difference between the Bilstein Rev C LGT/USDM Spec B struts/springs and Bilstein HDs. My car is noticeably firmer riding than stock w/ the HDs on pinks F/JDM LGT springs R.

I've got a mini squeak in the front left assembly. I suspect its from a missing sleeve around the spring where it sits on the strut.

There is some extra rumble and road texture that seeps in, and the car seems to have less muffled thumps over bumps. Worthwhile compromise for me.

sactojesse: I gathered that HDs are firmer that JDM specBs, so I did not consider them seriously. Must make the car a lot more fun in transient maneouvers (sp?)though

• 3 months later...
Alignment and Handling: I cranked in as much negative camber as I could in the front. I measured -1.3 deg on the left and -1.4 deg on the right when I was done. A pleasant surprise -> lowering (~3/4")+ more negative camber (~-1.3) yielded negligible toe change with the new struts. I measured about 0.2degree toe out at each wheel. Saved some $ on alignment! The car corners flatter (duh!), but a big improvement is in reserve grip during turn in. The car is a lot more flingable. But to you guys running a bigger RSB..... I admire your car control. Plenty of rear end action the way it is :lol:

I really need to wear out those wretched RE92s now....

Update 6/11/08:

About 6k later, I find that the 'mild' toe-out I had above was enough to wear my RE92s (what a shame) along the inside edges. I think I will get it aligned to zero toe

Archived