LegacyGT.com

A few Trans questions on how it works

Shooter_Jay

How does the ebrake work on these cars, which wheels? My car is 01 L wagon. I know the 80's soobs ebrake was on the front wheels. Today in the snow I grabbed the ebrake to see how it responded and I got the back to kick out. I was happy because earlier I was disappointed not being able to lock the brakes up because of having abs, until I thought of the ebrake.

So the real question is, what can I hurt by ebrake fun in low traction conditions? I still need to learn how the hydro transfer case whatever you call it works. If I pull the ebrake for fun will it break my tranny? The reason I ask is that I read about not towing with two wheels off the ground, and I wonder if the ebrake would simulate the same conditions. Anybody know exactly?

the center differential does not disengage when you pull the PARKING brake, thus, it isnt happy when it senses suddenly that the front wheels are relatively slipping and tries to transfer to the rear wheels, which are locked by the PARKING brake. the center diff tries to equalize front and rear wheel spin rates, so if the rear is suddenly ZERO while the front is > ZERO, you can imagine how the plates in the center diff feel....

i dont know how long you have before lots of damage is done, but i would suggest you avoid pulling the parking brake around to have fun, if it NEEDS TO ABSOLUTELY be done, clutch in and remove as much force on the center diff as possible, remember, our awd system works in reverse (ie. engine braking) as well.

Archived