LegacyGT.com

Garmin Nuvi in the cubby with door functionality!

gianspi

I'm so happy I tackled this project. Every GPS install I could find lost the door. I really wanted to keep the stock appearance to guard against thiefs. I took the cubby out and dremeled the top and bottom to fit the GPS. I then applied some electrical tape to the bottom part to create a "sack" for it to fit in. I still want to smooth out the edges but all in all I am very proud of myself. This is my first time doing anything like this. :)

http://gsent.org/gpsfits.jpg

There is a shadow caused by the flash. In real life the screen is bright and you can see everything perfectly!

http://gsent.org/gpscloseup.jpg

Oh yea, and $0 spent on this project ;)

How-to guide here!

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

I wasn't expecting it to come out as good as it did, so I didn't take any pictures. I am going to remove my radio to install the aux-in solder kit, so when I do that (probably next weekend), I will remove the cubby and show how I drilled it.

Did you relocate the antenna? Does the unit work with the antenna in the cubby?

Thanks, great work!

The antenna seems to work perfectly fine inside of the cubby. I squeezed together a plastic shopping bag into a tiny ball and wrapped it in electrical tape. I taped this ball behind the antenna so it couldn't snap closed when hitting a hard bump.

The model I have is the Nuvi 360.

I'll do a complete how-to guide next weekend.

Also if you close the door and re-open it, the GPS is a slanted slightly backwards about 5 degrees. If you give it a tap with your finger it snaps back into place just fine. This is because the cubby door pushes down on the GPS when re-opening it. It's no big deal though; it only take 3 seconds.

Great install!

I just got a Nav system and I was thinking of making up a bracket to attach to the upper part of the left A/C vent, but this may be even better! I'll have to find another place to put my sunglasses though... :cool:

Did you hard wire the charging cable to the cigarette lighter, or are you just going to remove the Nav unit when you need to charge it?

FYI, the widescreen Nuvi are wider but not as tall height wise. As a result they fit inside the cubby perfectly if the door is removed. If you set it back far enough you could retain the door and not need to dremel anything.

I almost sold my current Nuvi to get a widescreen and do this but decided my Sirius radio would look better in there since it matched all the dashboard colors.

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/a413161bb0.jpg

Excuse the pic, its a little uneven but I've fixed it.

I need to just get one of those blank cubbypod inserts so I can cut and mold the radio into it to clean up the look a bit.

• 4 weeks later...
This is exactly what I wanted to do, but my unit is too big (I have the TomTom One XL). And the power button is on the top of the unit.

Isn't the power button on the top of the Nuvi? So I guess I don't understand how to turn it on and off....

I'd love to see/read about the details of the installation.

Archived