LegacyGT.com

Quick I Need An Answer!!-- Coolant

How come we've never spotted each other?!?!?

I was at keystone for a morning session!

anyways, I am not too sure about the subaru. I've only used the OEM coolant from the dealer...

only my grand am, after 100k, i just started to use water after i would burn thru coolant very rapidly.... but i don't recommend it for the scooby..

sorry i can't help you! but welcome to the board, hit upt he mountain west section if you wanna meet/chat with your colorado neighbors!

brian

Use only Subaru coolant. A dealer told me that if there is a cooling system related claim Subaru asks for sample of the coolant for analysis. If it does not meet their requirements (which only their coolant meets, I believe) you might get warranty trouble.

In a pinch add any non-long life coolant, and have the coolant replaced later.

Finally, the fact that you lost coolant is not good, the car should not be losing coolant. When was the last time you checked it and how low it is.

if you just need a little bit to top it off, distilled water will work in a pinch.

Yes, but with a caveat. Just make sure you have enough coolant in the system so you are not skewing the "anti-freeze" to water ratio too much. That ratio determines the freezing point of your coolant. Vail + Feb = below freezing point of water. :lol: Anyway, you should be OK with distilled water unless you are running 90% water or something like that.

• 2 months later...

Archived