LegacyGT.com

6500 rpm question?

yes. its not good for the motor, it puts a lot of stress on the internal components to be accelerated and decelerated so quickly when its bouncing off the rev limiter. it wont hurt it to do it occasionally, but its there for a reason. some tuning programs raise the rev limiter to 7000 or beyond, the engine can take it, so long as you are smart enough to know when enough is enough. these motors are stout, but a moron can get into trouble in a sherman tank.

Agreed on the responsiveness of the manual mode on the auto. The problem is though, that before it shifts it has to figure out if what you're doing is something stupid or not. e.g., if you're cruising along at 70mph and trigger it to downshift to 2nd, the computer figures out what RPM it would put the engine at before actually allowing you to downshift. if it is outside of a certain parameter based on MPH, then it won't let you. The problem lies in the fact that these calculations (unfortunately) take time. Too much time in order for the 5EAT to be a rapid-shifting track machine. If you wanted quick, precise, and accurate shifts WHEN you want them, you should get a 5MT.

yes. its not good for the motor, it puts a lot of stress on the internal components to be accelerated and decelerated so quickly when its bouncing off the rev limiter. it wont hurt it to do it occasionally, but its there for a reason. some tuning programs raise the rev limiter to 7000 or beyond, the engine can take it, so long as you are smart enough to know when enough is enough. these motors are stout, but a moron can get into trouble in a sherman tank.

WWII sherman tanks were death traps armor too thin for its own good and the fact it ran off gasoline made for an explosive combo.

German panther tanks could eat through the sherman armor head on whereas the sherman had to attack german tanks at an angle or from behind with multiple rounds to disable it.

The only avantage to a sherman was its mass producability and its light weight. A sherman tank was only able to defeat its german counterpart though numbers. Unfortunately many american soldiers died for this reason.

American armored soldiers faced incredible odds fighting nazi panzer divisions in WWII. Yet our boys fought bravely and made due with what they had.

Point being it was VERY easy to get into trouble in a sherman.

Agreed on the responsiveness of the manual mode on the auto. The problem is though, that before it shifts it has to figure out if what you're doing is something stupid or not. e.g., if you're cruising along at 70mph and trigger it to downshift to 2nd, the computer figures out what RPM it would put the engine at before actually allowing you to downshift. if it is outside of a certain parameter based on MPH, then it won't let you. The problem lies in the fact that these calculations (unfortunately) take time. Too much time in order for the 5EAT to be a rapid-shifting track machine. If you wanted quick, precise, and accurate shifts WHEN you want them, you should get a 5MT.

I usualy just let it shift in either the auto or auto sport mode, the triptonic is rare for me to use cause of the slow shift. The auto sport mode does do a great job of shifting, if I do get sombody to step up to me on the highway I usualy toy with them and then finish them off with no problems.

I love my AT but, if an STI legacy comes out I may have to get better with an MT quickly.

Archived