LegacyGT.com

First USDM review!

Nah... I say we call it a seduck! :lol: :lol: Or is that a tredan?!? :o :lol: What ever it is I've only seen a few of the previous versions. I did get to drive the VDC version though. -Ian

I think the Outback sedan is a very cool car. It would be even cooler, and more utilitarian, if the seats folded down, however. But think about it...an OBXT sedan, with folding seats and factory-installed roof rails. That would rock for outdoorsy/athletic types. Kevin

The "Outback Sedan" in 3.0 form is for all those that have been waiting to trade in their AMC "Eagle" for a like type of product...ABOUT TIME...that rust was getting pretty bad...HAHAHAHAHA! :lol: [url]www.users.nac.net/gr/eagleweb[/url]

[quote name='AMT4SWA']The "Outback Sedan" in 3.0 form is for all those that have been waiting to trade in their AMC "Eagle" for a like type of product...ABOUT TIME...that rust was getting pretty bad...HAHAHAHAHA! :lol: [url]www.users.nac.net/gr/eagleweb[/url][/quote] Hahahaha! Nice link.
-ben

Yeah, laugh at the Eagle if you want, but an Eagle with a limited-slip in the back could be pretty doggone fast on an ice-race course. Drove almost like a rear-driver but was fast as AWD. Add the torquey in-line 6 and it was quicker on snow and ice (when equipped with Hakkas) than you'd expect...

Hey, I am from Minnesota and those cars were everywhere in the early 80's...I know how good they were in the snow and how fun on the lake in the winter. I grew up on a lake in Minnesota (Prior Lake), so no slam to the "Eagle" from me...just having some fun thinking about who will be buying the "Outback" sedans. :D

I just have a hard time believing that anybody needing the Outback benefits wouldn't also need the cargo storage of a wagon. I mean, you tend to go to the outdoors with a load of crap even if you're backpacking. The rear seat isn't an acceptable place for me to toss in most outdoors equipment.

[quote name='PPower']I just have a hard time believing that anybody needing the Outback benefits wouldn't also need the cargo storage of a wagon. I mean, you tend to go to the outdoors with a load of crap even if you're backpacking. The rear seat isn't an acceptable place for me to toss in most outdoors equipment.[/quote] Took the words right out of my mouth there!

I've been saying the Outback variety (hence utility) and sedan are an oxymoron for quite some time. Now they're down to just one version. I think it would have been more worthwhile their time and resources to drop the EZ30R into the Legacy platform from the get-go instead of waste resources on redesigning certain items just for on sedan variant that will probably have one of the lowest sales numbers of all the Outback models. Just doesn't make sense to me. Then again, RS Pro and RS Sport models? Cummon, that's original as well. Rally Sport Sport and Rally Sport Pro, only differences between standard RS and RS S is trim, like jumping to an LL Bean versus std Forester XS in essence. If they want to call something a pro model, at least make it into that actually. Make it a limited-edition RS model thats made for handling and maybe a better flowing equal-length exhaust manifold and such. Too much confusion in product naming from Subaru if you ask me. As per the reviews, I was definitely more impressed by the writing of the Edmunds one, but for a full review, that's in my hands. :cool:

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']It's like the lancer "ralliart" edition only comes with an AT, and like 165 hp.. sometimes things just don't make sense..[/quote] Huh? You can get a MT in that. I guess it's also similar to even offering an auto in a NSX but then I feel the same way about autos in a Porsche. Point is still that it doesn't work. Again, the reasoning goes back to this outdoors / driving image that Subaru is trying to deal with in the US. The Outback helped keep Subaru alive in the US only because they weren't offering the WRX which could have kept them from ever having any difficulty, but that's water under the bridge. So now the outdoorsy image is what has stuck most because of the popularity of the Outback. Since it is SoA's greatest success, they don't want to upset the apple cart and will keep that as the halo car for now. A reasoning could be that the Outback fans are already proven whereas the reception to the LEGACY could be great for a year and then die off when the next latest & greatest sport sedan comes out. If they put the Legacy up on a pedestal only to be knocked down even two years later, they have diminished the image of the Outback. By keeping the 3.0 and highline options only in the Outback at least for now, SoA is playing defensive until they can see just how popular the Legacy gets. I personally would have advocated a more aggressive approach to placing the Legacy as an equal in luxury to the Outback but with a more sporting edge. Going conservative may be safest, but going halfway only lessens the possibilities for a great reception for the Legacy due to the competition it will have to face- inequal as they may all be. So maybe after the Legacy gets a very warm reception, the Legacy will get more "respect" from SoA. In the meantime, it looks like SoA will maintain its image of outdoors utility oriented with a side order of performance+utility whereas other countries exude an image of driving enjoyment+utility and a side order of outdoors.

They didn't before.. taken from edmunds.com: [quote] Ratings Consumer Rating 40 Reviews 9.2 Awards There are no awards for this vehicle at this time. Pros Multiple body styles and trim levels, clean cabin design, solid power from Ralliart and Sportback models, wagon's generous cargo capacity. Cons Base engine lacks punch, no manual gearbox in Ralliart models, ABS and side airbags not available on all models, small trunk in sedans. [/quote] That must have been where I got it from, or they recently added a manual to the newer model year cars.

Archived