LegacyGT.com

White powdery coating on coolant hose

No, it's not cocaine. But WTF is this stuff?

It seems to coat just one of the hoses that goes to the upper coolant reservoir. There's a smudge where I wiped some of it off.

Did a coolant flush and fill last summer, no issues. This white crap wasn't there in November (last oil change).

whitehose1.jpg.aa2d95783997ffb0a9f92b3127049811.jpg

Probably some type of Subaru-upper-coolant resevoir-specific necrotizing aspergillus or other fungus that will eat thru that hose to the core of the suby and is not covered by any warranty. OR it is prob just salt . Try washing it off with soap and water:).
Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

Imbedded powder from the hose-making mold? It likely feels slightly slippery, like a talcum if you were rub it between your thumb and finger. I've seen this over the years on my other Subes, I don't get concerned about it, just wash it off and detail the hose with the rest of the underhood stuff. Usually doesn't come back.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Imbedded powder from the hose-making mold? It likely feels slightly slippery, like a talcum if you were rub it between your thumb and finger. I've seen this over the years on my other Subes, I don't get concerned about it, just wash it off and detail the hose with the rest of the underhood stuff. Usually doesn't come back.

SBT

That sounds about right. Mold release compound or some such crap, much more believeable than the "necrotizing car eating mildew" theory.

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

Archived