LegacyGT.com

Sometimes miss/stumble

JDNemeth

I have a 2000 Legacy GT with A/T and 127K miles and am having intermittent problems, the last couple days much more frequently. When the problems are occurring the car doesn't want to idle or accelerate, tends to jerk, miss and have very low power. The car will surge when running at steady speed going down the road, sometimes jerking enough to make my head bob. When accelerating it will dog or jerk up to between 3500 and 4000 RPM then it is like someone hit the on switch and the motor comes to life and pulls strong.

The plugs are not fresh, but less than 10K miles and OEM. I am getting the P0130 code, but it only appears after a rough running session. If I check codes when car is running fine I do not get any codes. If I check when car is running rough I will get the P0130 and codes for misfires on cyl 1, 2 and 3. My wife is the usual driver and has said her gas mileage has been low recently, even before this rough running started.

I have replaced the front O2 sensor twice now and the rear once. Once in 06 and again in May of 07. Come to think of it, there was a recall where it was replaced in 02 or 03, so I may be looking at sensor #4.

Has anyone seen this problem and does it seem likely the front O2 sensor would be the problem? I am also curious about the engine coming to life at the 3500 RPM range, does the ECM change what it is looking at at that point that would cause the O2 sensor not to play as much of a role?

Thanks for any help, sorry to be so long winded.

• 4 weeks later...
yeah if your cars does have mass air it could be that too. if its dirty that would screw up its readings. if you run an oiled air filter you need to be sure not to over oil it or it will plug up your MAF. local parts store should have or be able to get you a can or MAF cleaner.

I had a problem similar to the one you are describing in my 98GT.

Tried changing the ignition wires... which seemed to work for a bit, but then eventually traced it to a bad terminal on the coil pack. So I changed the coil too.

That seemed to resolve the misfire and low power/high fuel consumption i had.

Archived