LegacyGT.com

Where can I buy the subwoofer wiring harness?

spongemonster

I managed to get a factory sub but someone has hacked off the factory stereo connectors. I am perfectly capable of splicing into the stock system but in all honesty I'd really rather not hack anything up on my car when there's a plug and play option available.

So has anyone spotted just the wiring harness to fit an 08 outback 2.5i (lower lever stereo)?

James

Hey thanks for the responses guys. Now I'm stuck with a dilemma. If I buy a new harness I'll have paid more for this thing than just buying new. If I get the forward and revers wiring I still have two grey wires which have to be figured out and the other wiring if everything isn't colour coded. I have half a mind to sell the thing to someone who is a little more willing to take this on.

Wiring up the forward and reverse 14-pin harnesses is very easy. You connect like colors between those two harnesses (Black to Black, etc.), and also connect 6 of those wires to the harness going out to the subwoofer. I can give you the conversion from the colors on the 14-pin harnesses to the portion of the sub harness that you have.

The gray wires are ground. The factory subwoofer T-harness includes a pigtail with a screw terminal, to attach to the side of the stock radio. It's good to have, but not absolutely necessary.

The factory T-harness also has an inline fuseholder, with a 10 Amp fuse. Did the seller include that? If not, I strongly recommend adding one.

You can see more pictures of how the factory T-harness should look in posts 4 and 5 of this thread I compiled on NASIOC:

ADDED: The link BlackHole posted above is now here: http://ae64.com/Ordering.htm

I apologize in advance for threadjacking a bit, but this is moderately on topic.

I bought an '08 Legacy today but do not want to install the oem sub. I want to install my own underseat sub.

What will i need to plug into the Stock HU? Do I just need the Subwoofer Forward Harness? Will it send the "off" signal to the sub using this setup?

Thanks in advance.

I bought an '08 Legacy today but do not want to install the oem sub. I want to install my own underseat sub.

What will i need to plug into the Stock HU? Do I just need the Subwoofer Forward Harness? Will it send the "off" signal to the sub using this setup?

If your car has the Subaru subwoofer T-harness (not likely unless it came with the OEM sub), you could get a subwoofer "forward" harness to connect to the end of the T-harness under the seat. That would be the easiest way to access the rear speaker signals.

The OEM T-harness does not include a wire for amp turn-on, so you will also need to run another wire to some source of switched +12V. For most aftermarket amps, you'll also want to get a beefier source of +12V for main power. People usually run a wire all the way up to the battery.

If, as I suspect, your car does not have the factory subwoofer T-harness, you'll want a "forward" and reverse 14-pin radio harness. These will allow you to connect to the rear speaker terminals behind the stock stereo, without cutting or splicing into the factory wires.

You'll essentially be building your own T-harness using these two 14-pin harnesses plus the one that will come with your new sub.

Many aftermarket subs include the feature to power on when they detect sound (just as the Subaru sub does). If you buy a sub that does that, then you can omit the extra wire to switched +12V.

Archived