LegacyGT.com

How to scrap everything in my fridge into a funky salad.

bsdzine

I rarely keep a stocked fridge, I usually just hit up my local market every other day and buy whatever is fresh...

So here's what I got:

Some fresh green leaf lettuce

Baby Spinach that's soon to be bad :rolleyes:

and a little bit of red leaf lettuce from the other night

2 cases of fresh blackberries (on sale for 1.99 each! you can't beat that!)

baby tangerines

1 fuju apple

white whole mushrooms

carrots

aged gorgonzola (aged in a good way not just lost in the back of the fridge!)

and some oil and vinegar

and some frozen bomb-ass 12 grain bread

so this is what i was thinking, i'm having a friend over for a late-night dinner/movie chill session, so i figured something light would be nice...

my attempt at a home-made salad:

basically I am going to mix the green & red leaf lettuce and just snack on the spinach in the meantime. I'll top the salad with the gorgonzola, but here's my question. we all know that gorgonzola has a really strong unique flavor, but i also would like to add the citrus of the tangerine, along with the sweetness of the blackberries. I'll opt out of using the mushrooms, but will also add a bit of chopped carrot for color and texture. maybe even throw in a bit of chopped apple as well

so my question is, with the gorgonzola do you think the berries/tangerines/apple combo will go well with the salad? i've had salads with gorgonzola with citrus fruits, but what about using the other sweeter fruits along with it?

i also planned on smushing up some of the berries and mixing them with the oil and vinegar since i have alot of them and using that for dressing....

what do you guys think i should put in the salad? anything i should opt out? i like the combo of gorgonzola, tangerine, & apple... but would like to use these berries as well (even if i just do the dressing)....

ps - WHITE wine is on the dinner menu btw. i'm out of my reds for the moment and i don't want to crack a special bottle i've been saving.

brian

Ok, I'm with you on the green and red leaf lettuce. I'd go ahead and squeeze a tangerine over the lettuce, OR use it in a vinaigrette with the blackberries. For the carrots, I'd grate them, top with a little Gorgonzola, and maybe try your hand at making some croûtons out of your bread.

Granted, I'm probably a few hours too late, so if you used the apple, let me know. In general, let us know what you did and how it turned out.

hey brady, this is what i actually did...

i used the green/red lettuce, and diced up the apple into little bits, topped that on the salad along with the gorgonzola and ran down the street to the market and picked up some almonds :), i crushed those up and added a little bit of that to salad for some nice texture considering i was opting out of making the crutons (i wanted to have some toast with my cereal in the morning lol). i then took a few (4 slices for each salad) of the tangerines, and used those in place of tomatoes....

i wanted to use the blackberries, but when i was sitting and typing the idea of what to do, i ended up eating a case of them! :)

i smushed some of them up and made a mild vinagrette that would simply "wet" up the salad...

anyways it wasn't bad. the nuts really helped pull the flavor of the gorgonzola, and the apples were a great combination with the cheese and nuts. i honestly think the tangerines didn't do much besides make it look pretty as i only used a few slices for a garnish... i wish i used more berries for the dressing, but next time i think i'll just buy a raspberry or blackberry vinagrette next time i'm food shopping. (i got the berry juice on my hands and it ended up transferring a bit onto my sleeve - i'm no homemaker, so it was a PITA to clean it off my clothes lol.)

all in all, mixed with good white, it was a very simple, but pretty yummy dinner. it's nice to have a meal that doesn't involve meat now and then! :)

edit: i just noticed it says "Rank: Donating Member" on my info now! woo woo! :) now i don't feel bad posting this and taking up bandwidth lol

brian

Archived