LegacyGT.com

Canadian Legacy MRSP!

As I posted in another forum... Right from my dealer! Legacy: Base: 28 000$ (canadian;) ) GT sedan: 36 500$ GT wagon: 37 500$ Limited: +4300$ :eek: :evil: Auto : +1500$ Outback: Base: 33 000$ XT: 42 900$ 3.0: 39 000$ VDC: 45 000$ No invoice yet My humble opinion: just as in the US, the Limited is WAY too pricey :evil:

Dr GT Thanks for the info. Are you saying the GT Limited is $40,800? This is way too high and about the price of the new S40 T6. As a matter of fact, I could get a new 2003 325xi for that price or less with 6 yrs of warranty. This price is ridiculously high and as I mentioned in the Canadian forum, I talked to my sales rep who wanted me to put in an order for one and she thinks it's going to be around the Forester XT price ie C$49K. By the time you add FRT, PDI, ADMIN & GST, it'll be in the mid $40s. Thanks but no thanks and I think I'll be looking somewhere else for another car. Just so you know there's the new 2005 TSX SH-AWD with possible Turbo which should be out in October. Do we still need to be around here now that we know the price and I think we can stretch our $$ further elsewhere right?

[quote name='shelltox'] Dr GT Thanks for the info. Are you saying the GT Limited is $40,800? This is way too high and about the price of the new S40 T6. As a matter of fact, I could get a new 2003 325xi for that price or less with 6 yrs of warranty. This price is ridiculously high and as I mentioned in the Canadian forum, I talked to my sales rep who wanted me to put in an order for one and she thinks it's going to be around the Forester XT price ie C$49K. By the time you add FRT, PDI, ADMIN & GST, it'll be in the mid $40s. Thanks but no thanks and I think I'll be looking somewhere else for another car. Just so you know there's the new 2005 TSX SH-AWD with possible Turbo which should be out in October. Do we still need to be around here now that we know the price and I think we can stretch our $$ further elsewhere right?[/quote] Youa re making false assumptions about the TSX coming in AWD in the fall in addition to the faulty turbo rumor. Second, you are making assumptions on the price as well. Also keep in mind the difference between the MSRP and what you can buy each car for. Even in the US, the Leg 2.5GT Limited will be about the same as an S40 T[b]5[/b]. What's the big deal? The S40 T5 will be a much closer competitor to the TSX being both fwd and 200-218hp. You would do better to compare the prices of the non turbo Legacy to those cars. The Legacy's torque makes up for the hp against the TSX at least, and I'm guessing lighter weight as well.

[quote name='SUBE555'][quote name='GTRob']That TSX is an urban legend. By October 04? Not a chance in hell.[/quote] From all information I've seen, this is the accurate word thus far.[/quote] SUBE555, where did u find out the info? acura-tsx.com?? just wandering, 'cause i've been looking for infor about it too..but mostly only find ppl speculating and rumors...haven't find any thing that makes it one single bit possible for TSX AWD coming.... :(

[quote name='DrGT']My humble opinion: just as in the US, the Limited is WAY too pricey :evil:[/quote] Docteur GT; I am not surprised at all of the pricing I originally anticipated low forty's (in my head). I still think it's a great value. Just compare it to a Volvo V70 AWD with leather and sunroof; vicinity of $49,000 CAD. I'm sure a V50 T5 AWD will be as expensive as the Legacy GT Limited. Why is it that people are not willing to pay for "real" value when it comes to the name Subaru??? I do not understand why this car is considered overpriced. I love BMWs and Audis and Volvos but they are considerably more expensive feature to feature. In my opinion the Legacy remains a great value. Lets just wait a few months so that we can get it somewhere near to invoice.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

Did some digging: "As mentioned on acura-cl.com At work today I was talking with our scheduling guy and he just got a work request in for some turbo development for a 2.2L Honda engine! The work is for our group in Japan but the engine is a gasoline engine intended for a MY 2006 Honda vehicle. Acura or Honda we couldn't decide, but my guess is an Accord? Perhaps they are downsizing the base 2.4L engine to a 2.2L and turbocharging it for the same if not more power, plus a lighter and more fuel efficient package? Apparently testing is going to be done in Japan until it is ready for its America unveiling, which is usually the case... All I know is it's a ball-bearing unit. Anyway I thought this was interesting considering the recent talk about Honda going hybrid or turbo or AWD... looks like they are already working on turbo powered engines!" and "JDM Honda Accord (TSX) with K22A (2.2L) turbo with AWD (not sure if it's the same SH-AWD system on the new RL), producing 250HP (no Tq figures yet). Honda plans to unveil this sometime in 05 to compete against the popular segment currently dominated by the Subaru WRX and Mitsu LanEvo. The pic on the mag is the Accord Euro R with hood scoop and rear spoiler similar to that of the JDM Integra Type R." So first of all, it'll be at least 18 months until we see this car in production form probably. Second of all, all I'm going to say is that the speculation when the S2000 was being developed was all aluminum body, 2400lb, 280hp. It turned out to be all steel body (except hood), 2800lb and 240hp. (Still bought one anyways! :) ) All I'm saying is don't make a buying decision based on rumors - you'll be waiting forever to buy a car. And yes, if a turbo AWD TSX were available, I would definitely consider buying one.

[quote name='TeeLoo'][quote name='DrGT']My humble opinion: just as in the US, the Limited is WAY too pricey :evil:[/quote]Why is it that people are not willing to pay for "real" value when it comes to the name Subaru??? [/quote] And there is the magic question, and the dilemma that Subaru will have to solve, if they want the car to take off. It is very fairly priced (including the Limited) for what you get, and the performance offered. But marques where people are willing to pay MORE money are perceived as a better value than Subaru, even though they are slower, less nimble, etc, etc. We'll see how Subaru markets the car. Kevin

I just priced out an S40 on Volvo's Canadian site. With the 5 speed auto (it didn't give me a manual option), a 170hp engine, a sunroof, and the SE package (leather, power seat, etc.) the MSRP came to $36,295 CDN. I don't think that even includes AWD (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). So for $3,000 CDN you're talking about these advanatages for the Legacy GT: 1. Size - the Leg is considerably larger than the S40. The S40 is built on the Mazda3 platform. It's large for a compact, and fairly roomy inside, but distinctly smaller. Let's call that a $1,000 CDN advantage (and I'm being generous here; honestly I'd call it at LEAST $2,000). 2. Drivetrain - the Leg of course comes with full time AWD, one of the best in the biz. Even if the Volvo has AWD, it's part-time, and totally inferior in every way. I'll call that $2,000 (only $1,000 if the S40 actually has AWD). 3. Power - 250/250 vs. 170/177. Not even a contest. I'll call that $1,500. Okay, all my numbers are arbitrary, but I hope you get the point - you get MORE for your money with the GT as compared to the Volvo. If you're shopping on price, fine, the Volvo wins. If you're shopping on VALUE, the GT wins in a runaway.

[quote name='GTRob'] So first of all, it'll be at least 18 months until we see this car in production form probably. Second of all, all I'm going to say is that the speculation when the S2000 was being developed was all aluminum body, 2400lb, 280hp. It turned out to be all steel body (except hood), 2800lb and 240hp. (Still bought one anyways! :) ) All I'm saying is don't make a buying decision based on rumors - you'll be waiting forever to buy a car. [/quote] Thanks, GTRob. I'm still somewhat surprised about a turbo, but the timing of Fall 05/early 06 would make a lot more sense. This above portion says it all well.

Hi Guys: That was my 2cts worth.......thought it'll be good for discussion. I know the S40 is basically a FORD and no I don't want to be caught in a FORD. The others are basically other options. My general opinion is the price is still up there. Anyway, confirming on pricing, I just got a call from my dealership on sedan pricing..... 2.5i 5MT - $27,995 2.5GT 5MT - $37,645 2.5GT Ltd 5MT - $40,295 FRT/PDI is $1150. More input on pricing?

I still find the price a bit expensive, the only advantage on the new legacy is AWD but how many people really need it? In this price range (2.5GT), Subaru is competing against Acura TSX, Lexus IS300 and Volvo S40... It's not the features Subaru is competing against but brand name at this price range!

[quote]I know the S40 is basically a FORD and no I don't want to be caught in a FORD.[/quote] The S40 platform is co-developed among Ford, Volvo and Mazda. If you check out all the reviews and user feedback, you'll be amazed how this platform perform.

[quote name='PhilGood'][quote]I know the S40 is basically a FORD and no I don't want to be caught in a FORD.[/quote] The S40 platform is co-developed among Ford, Volvo and Mazda. If you check out all the reviews and user feedback, you'll amaze how this platform perform.[/quote] Other than the platform, it's all 100% genuine Volvo. And that platform (P3?) is a competitive advantage for Volvo.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

Let's take the 2.5GT Ltd Sedan 5MT pricing listed in needs0desire.com US$28,495 compared to C$40,295. Using these prices, the exchange rate comes toa whopping 1.4141 whereas normally most cars are around 1.30 to 1.35. Even at the 1.35 rate it could still be doable around C$38,468 and still short of the $40K mark. Wow, Subaru's trying to make a killing on Canucks enthusiats. Are there enough of us for them to make big profits?? Still out of whack.

G35 or G35X (to match the Legacy's AWD)? $4K or more is a significant price difference, but for how much more car? The above post points out the problem that Subaru is going to have. Who knows if they will solve the marketing problem that has people willing to pay significantly more money for a nameplate other than Subaru's. Kevin

[quote]Who knows if they will solve the marketing problem that has people willing to pay significantly more money for a nameplate other than Subaru's.[/quote] Totally agree, the CAD price start intersecting with luxury compact segment and it's a tougher market... People will consider more such as brand name, service and reliability...

• 1 month later...
First time post... I looked at the G35 sedan, but the AWD and MT seem to be mutually exclusive (i.e. you can choose one or the other - see infiniti.ca). I didn't spend much time looking at the G35 after that. :x If you want AWD and an MT in the same car, the Legacy GT seems like pretty reasonable value in Canada. Can anyone in Canada tell us what they paid for a Legacy that they've ordered?

I am waiting for a Limited GT wagon, 5MT. I paid 40 300$ + destination charges (1295$). MRSP is 41 800$ + destination. But I had a pretty good trade in for my actual car.

[quote name='antelope']Thanks for the feedback. A source I checked indicated that for a GT Sedan, 5MT, invoice was about $3,500 less than the MSRP of $36,495. [/quote] Invoice for my car was ~4000$ below MRSP

Archived