LegacyGT.com

Windshield cracks too easily? STUPID STUPID!!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a guess w/ nothing backing up what I am about to say....But....Could lit be the angle Subaru uses on their winshield? I couldn't even begin to guess how the crack on the sunroof got there but I read before the angle of the windshield makes a huge difference. Just my $.02

Wow 6 Trillion people on earth already!! Impressive. I thought we only had 6 billion. But still, 6 billion people apparently all own a legacy and frequent this site. That is awesome!! Go Subaru.

(Sarcasm intended)

While his post didn't make sense. He did say six billion, not trillion.

As far as the topic goes. My '02 GT had the original windshield at 130,000 miles, lots of chips (5 or so big ones) but no cracks. I was pretty impressed with that.

Don't know how my '05 will stand up, hopefully as well.

I'd have to say that my Legacy is the weakest stock windshield of any car I've owned. Cracks spread like crazy.. and dings more easily. I wanted to get rid of that windshield anyway because there is zero tint in the glass and no shade band. We always insure glass where I live, which puts a cap on the price of a new windshield. $150 for a new one. I pay $14 / yr for that coverage. The new one has a slight green tint and a deep blue shade band at the top, it is bound to help with the solar oven effect. Maybe it will be less vulnerable to cracks and dings too.. Don't know where it's made I should check that and post it.

Vindicated! Anecdotal evidence aside, my point was that I haven't seen anything to indicate Subaru windshields are any worse than any other. Just a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Now my Honda on the other hand....

Here's the sticker from my new windshield for that car - PPG made in China and an exact duplicate of OEM for about $200 less.

IMG_8196a.jpg.acdb125ca7f1e9eabd3b438d686b3cc3.jpg

As far as the topic goes. My '02 GT had the original windshield at 130,000 miles, lots of chips (5 or so big ones) but no cracks. I was pretty impressed with that.

Wow, you must be one of the 6 billion people that windshields don't crack.:lol:

Replaced my windshield last year and two weeks later is cracked again...:nono:

My wife's balls are delicious.

Some windshields are just thinner than others. My windshield sounds thin as hell when small rocks hit it on the highway. There have been several times when the sound of a rock hitting my windshield made me think it got cracked. It just sounded worse than it was. I may have had a problem if I was up north where it was colder though.

I'd just replace it with a non-OEM windshield if mine was cracked. Mine is pitted to hell though. I am halfway looking forward to a big crack to have an excuse to replace it. I should do my research now.

I got a chip and had it filled within the first few months of ownership.. no problems with that one.. Had another chip crack and spread across almost the entire windshield. Im waiting on getting it replaced untill I need to get my car inspected being that my luck the new one will get cracked before inspection and ill have to buy another one. 6 more months with a cracked windshield.. boo.

You want to talk about windshields that are vulnerable to cracking, buy a Jeep Wrangler. I had both a YJ and a TJ and went through about 4 windshields between the two. I chalk it up to the fact that the windshields are near vertical, so when they took a rock, they'd take them pretty much dead on.

But nothing beats when I hit the turkey at 50 mpg :D

You want to talk about windshields that are vulnerable to cracking, buy a Jeep Wrangler. I had both a YJ and a TJ and went through about 4 windshields between the two. I chalk it up to the fact that the windshields are near vertical, so when they took a rock, they'd take them pretty much dead on.

But nothing beats when I hit the turkey at 50 mpg :D

WOW! You get pretty good mileage when you're hittin turkeys (50mpg)

all of you feel better. my buddy had a 91 ford ranger and the windshield shattered on him

when his brother slid into a town plow truck and my buddy shattered it with his face then slid his face down the broken glass

Archived