LegacyGT.com

Help deciding on new shocks. JDM/OEM???

Powerman

I have a stock 05 LGT. It's the wife's really. Don't feel like asking her to sacrifice her comfort for my performance.

We need new shocks. The LGT is wallowing all over the place at 60K miles. I had another 05 LGT I traded it for with 45K miles. I'm sure it was stock, but that one handled much better. Much tighter.

I read all the JDM/OEM threads and others. A simple JDM GT Rev A sounds good. The JDM Spec B Rev C sounds very interesting. I won't be doing anything else to the suspension any time soon. I just want a very nice handling ride. Need to still have some comfort, but don't mind a more precise ride.

Is the Rev. C too sporty/uncomfortable? Too much performance? Not worth it if I am doing no other mods?

What would be a more comparable ride with less hassle. Meaning off the shelf quality struts/springs. Better handling over OEM replacements.

I will be getting new rubber this year too and would like to have a bit more fun with the LGT.

^^^ Thanks. I figured anything for the LGT from the factory would not be too aggressive. (Even if it is JDM) Thanks for your great write up too.

Do you know those who run JDM with no other mods? Is it worth it is my point since I am not going for balls out track performance?

I run currently JDM SpecB Rev.C setup with JDM OEM springs and JDM rear sway bar. All OEM, just JDM :)

Great combo. I'll be going to coilovers this spring and will likey sell my Bilsteins...

I run currently JDM SpecB Rev.C setup with JDM OEM springs and JDM rear sway bar. All OEM, just JDM :)

Great combo. I'll be going to coilovers this spring and will likey sell my Bilsteins...

Should I step into your office?

(dibs)

If you currently have Bilsteins and are "going to coilovers", how do you have a nearly brand new set of KWs and won't be selling them for a few months?

If you currently have Bilsteins and are "going to coilovers", how do you have a nearly brand new set of KWs and won't be selling them for a few months?

I have few sets of coilovers waiting/coming I'll be playing with this spring, KWs are one of them. I had the KWs in the past installed but I removed them. I'll be putting them again, but I doubt I would keep them since I have Bilstein PSS coilovers coming :spin:

if you are keeping a factory type spring, then the bilstiens are comfortable enough since you arent lowering the car. you may also want to consider the koni adjustable inserts. they will let you adjust the dapening to your liking and im sure they will do well if you kep the stoock springs. Plus, they are cheaper than the bilsteins.

if you are keeping a factory type spring, then the bilstiens are comfortable enough since you arent lowering the car. you may also want to consider the koni adjustable inserts. they will let you adjust the dapening to your liking and im sure they will do well if you kep the stoock springs. Plus, they are cheaper than the bilsteins.

I read the Koni thread. Those sound like what I am looking for. What exactly is an insert? Read something else about cutting the shock???? Is it just another term for the shock, or strut inside the spring?

Is there a reason why you're considering JDM Bilsteins over Bilstein HDs? :confused:

No, I'm ignorant of both. The JDM path seems like what I'm after, but explain why HDs would be a better way to go. Especially since Koni has entered the conversation.

Thanks.

yes, you cut open the shock, remove the guts, slip the insert in and off you go. its a cheaper, and possibly better solution than a bilstein setup since you dont have to buy spec b top hats or anyother hardware.

That is actually new to me. I'm not totally ignorant. Just haven't dove into the LGT yet. Never heard of inserts. How do they hold up? Are there disadvantages to using them over traditional replacement shocks?

Thanks for your help by the way.

I have the JDM Spec B Rev C bilsteins with pink springs. Nice but sometimes the kidneys get a kick from a hard bump.

Do you believe that to be more from the springs or the shocks? Maybe, maybe I would consider a little stiffer spring, but I don't want to drop any. So a JDM OEM spring might be nice, but a pink might be too aggressive. So far I like the idea of better shocks with OEM springs, or OEM JDM springs.

That is actually new to me. I'm not totally ignorant. Just haven't dove into the LGT yet. Never heard of inserts. How do they hold up? Are there disadvantages to using them over traditional replacement shocks?

Thanks for your help by the way.

no disadvantages aside from the little extra work to install. And when they go bad, you can send them out to koni and have them rebuilt.

Do you believe that to be more from the springs or the shocks? Maybe, maybe I would consider a little stiffer spring, but I don't want to drop any. So a JDM OEM spring might be nice, but a pink might be too aggressive. So far I like the idea of better shocks with OEM springs, or OEM JDM springs.

I also like the idea of just upgrading the struts and not the springs. I run coilovers in the summer since i autox the car. in the winter i put my stock struts and springs back in so i can clean out my coilovers and not have them covered in road salt. the stock dampening is so crappy to me. i almost want to just have pugraded struts as my winter setup.

no disadvantages aside from the little extra work to install. And when they go bad, you can send them out to koni and have them rebuilt.

Cool thanks. I've rebuilt my Jeep and I have my eye on a 135i. I would love to mod the LGT, but it really is the wife's. We have boundaries:) So it isn't that "I" don't want too much performance, she doesn't and she doesn't care, or appreciate it. So...

I would love to check out auto crossing this Summer. At this point though it isn't the car that needs a bunch of mods, it's the driver:) Maybe if I don't get the 135 and the wife gets tired of the LGT she will hand it over to me. I do really like the LGT. Great car.

I never ran the OEM springs that came with my bilsteins. I put on Pinks before they were put on my car.

No, I'm ignorant of both. The JDM path seems like what I'm after, but explain why HDs would be a better way to go. Especially since Koni has entered the conversation.

Bilstein HDs are aftermarket replacement struts that are purportedly about 20% stiffer than USDM Spec B Bilsteins/JDM LGT Rev C Bilsteins. This thread has a ton of info on them:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54289&highlight=bilstein+review

They are typically less expensive to buy new than used JDM Bilsteins or USDM Spec B takeoffs, around $500 for all four.

Bilstein HDs are aftermarket replacement struts that are purportedly about 20% stiffer than USDM Spec B Bilsteins/JDM LGT Rev C Bilsteins. This thread has a ton of info on them:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54289&highlight=bilstein+review

They are typically less expensive to buy new than used JDM Bilsteins or USDM Spec B takeoffs, around $500 for all four.

Thanks. Long thread. Yes I read it. So if I was going Bilstien, it would not make much sense using JDM Bilstiens. So Koni, or Bilstien HDs seem to be what I am after.

Now I am just trying to figure out what to do with my springs. Stay OEM, or go JDM OEM, or Pinks. Don't see any other after market springs that don't drop, or don't have a significantly higher spring rate.

Sounds like you have the gist of it.

Here is a synopsis:

All Bilsteins require JDM top hats in the front, which adds ~$100 if you need to purchase.

The Koni's require you sacrafice the factory front struts to insert the strut cartridge into them. They do not require the JDM/USDM Spec-B top-hat. The rears drop in like the Bilsteins.

There are also adjustable Tokicos available from Mach V, which are similar to Bilsteins in mounting requirements, but offer adjustability similar to the Konis at a higher price. These drop in like the bilsteins, which means they also require the JDM/USDM Spec-B top hats. for proper fitment.

Archived