LegacyGT.com

paddle shifter question

hayasa

Are there three modes of shifting on the 5EAT w/ paddles - fully auto, sport (shifting the knob to the left), and manu-matic (paddles)? Or just auto and manu-matic? Also, what happens if you are in regular auto mode and you hit one of the paddles?

Are there three modes of shifting on the 5EAT w/ paddles - fully auto, sport (shifting the knob to the left), and manu-matic (paddles)? Or just auto and manu-matic? Also, what happens if you are in regular auto mode and you hit one of the paddles?

First, I don't have any 'paddles' on my 05, I have buttons on the steering wheel.

Secondly, can we assume you don't actually own and drive a LGT?

Third, shifting with steering wheel controls merely bumps a gear up or down in whatever mode you have selected by the gear shift lever.

I have paddles :-)You can use the paddles in any mode. If it is in fully automatic it will return to fully automatic after a few seconds if you're in the accelerator.The knob in the center is for changing the way the engine and tranny behaves. Sport, sport sharp, and intelligent. S is the "normal" mode on start up. Sport sharp is maximum tq, intelligent is for fuel econ but I think its useless. SI-Drive really has nothing to do with manual shifting.

I have paddles :-)You can use the paddles in any mode. If it is in fully automatic it will return to fully automatic after a few seconds if you're in the accelerator.The knob in the center is for changing the way the engine and tranny behaves. Sport, sport sharp, and intelligent. S is the "normal" mode on start up. Sport sharp is maximum tq, intelligent is for fuel econ but I think its useless. SI-Drive really has nothing to do with manual shifting.

That pretty much answers my question regarding hitting a paddle while in auto mode. However, not having driven a new LGT, I'm still unclear about the shifter itself. And compairing to similar systems in BMW (not their SMG, but the auto with paddles), they have three different modes: regular auto, sport mode (shifting stick to left, don't touch paddles), and manual (stick on left, hitting paddles). I was wondering if the LGT system is similar, and not refering to SI-knob...

In manual mode there is no setting on how the tranny will act, "sport or otherwise". The tranny will act different in full auto depending on what SI mode you are in. There are only 2 options on the tranny, "D" for full auto/manual auto, or move the shifter to the left and you have full manual. Wheb the sifter is in the manual (left side) you can use the paddles or gear knob to choose gears. Its a matter of preference.

In manual mode there is no setting on how the tranny will act, "sport or otherwise". The tranny will act different in full auto depending on what SI mode you are in. There are only 2 options on the tranny, "D" for full auto/manual auto, or move the shifter to the left and you have full manual. Wheb the sifter is in the manual (left side) you can use the paddles or gear knob to choose gears. Its a matter of preference.

Cool. But what happens if you shift the lever left and don't touch the paddles or do anything? You'll just run to redline?

Kinda, if you don't touch anything in manual mode, the engine will near redline and it will automatically shift for you to avoid damage. I suppose you could do that if you want to redline every gear, I personally wouldn't.

• 2 weeks later...
My car is at the dealer today, and they gave me a brand new 08 2.5i. The 08 2.5i comes with the 4EAT. It also has the feature you have mentioned above (no paddles though) There is Automatic. Move the shifter to the left and you have Sport. Shift up or down and you have full manual.

Guest heightsgtltd
Cool. But what happens if you shift the lever left and don't touch the paddles or do anything? You'll just run to redline?

The level shifts to the right IIRC, and if you have it in sport mode but dont use the buttons/paddles, the auto is in "sport mode" which is totally safe, and holds the gears longer.

His question was about the tranny modes, not the Si drive. The regular auto mode is just that.........regular. If you move the stick to the left, it will light up "sport" on the dash. That will hold gears longer, and stay in gears during aggressive driving. Then you have the manumatic functions, both with the shifter and the buttons on the steering wheel.

If you use the buttons in regular auto mode, the tranny will switch back to regular mode after several seconds.........as stated earlier. If you use the buttons or shifter in sport mode, you will have to shift yourself, and switch back to regular auto to get the tranny to shift itself again.

Regular auto...........no fun.

Sport mode.............better.

Manumatic..............best.

5MT...............Probably the most fun!

Well, my prehistoric 5EAT bounces off the limiter in 1st gear...........if its in sport mode and I go WOT part way through the gear. Its like the car doesnt tell it to shift fast enough. All the other gears are fine though. I just use the manumatic function.

Archived