LegacyGT.com

a weird problem

bitter-bert

Okay, guys, I did a search on this, and yes, I know what the problem is. Just wondering if anyone actually had it fixed because I'm not interested in disabling it.

It's with the clutch neutral safety switch (or that's what I think it's called). Anyways, while at work, I tried to start my car, clutch pushed all the way in, tried to crank it, nothing, but accessories and what not working, fan going like there's no tomorrow.

So, even though knowing the battery wasn't discharged or anything, I still cleaned up the terminals and what not. Tried to start it again... nothing. I call Timmons Subaru over in Long Beach, they go down a list of things, including if I had the clutch pushed all the way. (which I did). So they go on with, try kicking the clutch while starting the car see if it'll crank. Eventually it did crank after a few tries.

Now for the question, anyone else run into this problem? And if they decided to get it fixed instead of doing the disabling mod? Also how much you think it'll cost to change?

Thanks guys.

-Bert

• 4 weeks later...

same thing has happened to me. I thought it was some sensor not sensing the clutch is being depressed. It occurred to me that my aftermarket rubber floor mat was keeping my clutch pedal from going all the way down. A simple adjustment of floor mat placement seemed to be the cure.

good luck

Okay, guys, I did a search on this, and yes, I know what the problem is. Just wondering if anyone actually had it fixed because I'm not interested in disabling it.

It's with the clutch neutral safety switch (or that's what I think it's called). Anyways, while at work, I tried to start my car, clutch pushed all the way in, tried to crank it, nothing, but accessories and what not working, fan going like there's no tomorrow.

So, even though knowing the battery wasn't discharged or anything, I still cleaned up the terminals and what not. Tried to start it again... nothing. I call Timmons Subaru over in Long Beach, they go down a list of things, including if I had the clutch pushed all the way. (which I did). So they go on with, try kicking the clutch while starting the car see if it'll crank. Eventually it did crank after a few tries.

Now for the question, anyone else run into this problem? And if they decided to get it fixed instead of doing the disabling mod? Also how much you think it'll cost to change?

Thanks guys.

-Bert

Probably 1 of 2 things (possibly more)

1. Clutch out switch (above the pedal), out of adjustment
  2. Ignition switch gremlin

I don't think that the transmission neutral switch has any bearing on this as you can start the engine with the car in any gear, as long as the clutch pedal is depressed - so I refer back to item number one above.

If it is the switch, you should be able to change that out yourself. I'll check part numbers and give you an estimate on cost.

I'm also going to peruse the shop manual troubleshooting guide and see if there is anything else to check.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived