LegacyGT.com

Problem this morning - downshift grinding

The car is stock 2.5i SE. This morning i was driving to the train station and the downshifting started to grind rather conspicuously.

Feeling an increased shudder in any gear (2nd 3rd and 4th) while downshifting and coasting and as soon as the speed falls below 30mph (downshifting at higher speeds i don't feel anything). Also the engine noise from the front underside is pronounced as soon as this happens.

Didn't have much time to troubleshoot what the problem was. Getting worried. Any ideas?

First check that no engine mounts are broken or if something is wedged between engine/gearbox and body. If this isn't the case I suggest that you take the car to the workshop as soon as possible and let them have a look. That kind of sound seems to be an "expensive sound".
453747.png

This is a manual right?

How many miles?

Might be the clutch giving you a warning that it's thinking about going out. My Heavy Duty aftermarket clutch grabs like that on the downshift, but my stock clutch never did. You might want to take it to the dealership and have them go for a ride with you so they can hear and feel what you are talking about. Take it easy on it until you can get it in.

Let's kick this pig!

Archived