LegacyGT.com

Breaking In Advice for new 2007 Legacy GT Limited

Hi,

I looked and only came across some brief discussions of this. I'm breaking in an AUTO LGT LTD, my wife's actually. I drive an 06 WRX.

What do I need to know/be careful of in this first 1000 miles?

Thank you!

- G.

Take it easy the first 1000 miles. Then after first oil change drive it like you stole it with 93 octane for a while so the computer learns the throttle and hopefully it will avoid any stutter issues. Good luck. :lol:

Taken from cars101.com website:

Break-in period for the first 1000 miles

Don't race the engine, keep RPMs under 4,000 for the most part and vary the speeds with normal city/highway driving. Don't use the cruise control or go at one steady speed for a long time. Avoid hard starts and stops.

• 1 month later...
Ordered a brandnew LGT yesterday. What methods have you used and have you seen any evidence that this is effective?

If you search on google, youll probably end up with tons of different sides. even on this forum I think I asked what way is best to break it in and there were different sides. I chose to pretty much beat on it the day I got it and worked its way up to redline within the first 20miles. I did it personally because my friends mechanic does the break in the same way on the engine he built for him and his personal car which both are pretty high powered turbo cars. I guess since you just ordered it you got about 3 weeks like me to research which way you want to break it in.

If you search on google, youll probably end up with tons of different sides. even on this forum I think I asked what way is best to break it in and there were different sides. I chose to pretty much beat on it the day I got it and worked its way up to redline within the first 20miles. I did it personally because my friends mechanic does the break in the same way on the engine he built for him and his personal car which both are pretty high powered turbo cars. I guess since you just ordered it you got about 3 weeks like me to research which way you want to break it in.

Thanks for the response. I've set myself on the same method.

One thing I never understood is why they call it a "break" -in if your just going to go easy on it. It is a BREAK in after all.

Break in as you would normally drive it. Just avoid long constant cruises at the same RPM. Hard accleration at LOW rpms is also a good break-in practice. This helps seat the rings to the cylinder walls. Wait till 200-300 miles or so before you crank it up to redline.

I did this method: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Basically beat on it the day i picked it up from the lot.

yea, i feel like if you feel like you will drive your car hard, do this method, i did.

if its just a grocery getter, go the method in the manual, slow and easy

and oil change at 1500, thats what i did, synth at 3k

yea, i feel like if you feel like you will drive your car hard, do this method, i did.

if its just a grocery getter, go the method in the manual, slow and easy

and oil change at 1500, thats what i did, synth at 3k

I havent switched over to synthetic yet. I did hard break in, did oil change at 500miles, oil change at 1500 miles, oil change at 3000 miles, oil change at 5500 miles, and now Im going to start going with the 3000 mile intervals. I am using Castrol GTX w/ a Purelator Pure 1 filter for all oil changes. As soon as I hit 10k miles or so Ill switch over to Mobil 1 Syn probably.

Archived