LegacyGT.com

Bit of a strange question...

SlightlyEvil

I've noticed over the past few months that more and more of the electronic pieces of my car are accompanied by a 'click' sound from behind the dash when they're used.

For example, flipping the headlights from DRL/parking light mode to Full On mode makes a quiet click noise that sounds like its coming from above the OBD port (fuse box area?) but it sounds like a relay perhaps? Toggling the A/C functions or rear window defogger on/off makes the same click sound from the same location now. (These never used to do this).

Additionally when I switch off the car, about 2 seconds after the car shuts down there's another quiet click coming from the passenger side behind the dash which is a bit worrying because it's near the passenger SRS.

No CELS and all the electronic stuff that causes these clicks is working fine, just wondering what this is a result of - is it an early sign of a relay going to give out or something?

^^ Like anyone I can make ghosts up in my head for sure, but I know for a fact it has not done this before, at least not in the time I've owned it (6months, 25,000km). It has been silent performing all those operations before today. At first I noticed the post-shutdown one a few weeks ago and thought nothing of it, but today the other relay started clicking today when flipping lights on/off and toggling the A/C & windshield heater circuits. Interestingly while the HVAC controls cause the click, the radio power switch does not so it must be on a separate circuit I imagine?

Could this be caused by poor grounding somewhere?

All clicks are normal. They are relays turning on/off. Mine does it with every function that you describe, but you have to be listening for it. Is like one of those things that you never really notice, but once you do it is all you can hear.

X

---

Have you asked someone else riding with you if they hear it, and if they do, is it annoying to them?

Who knows, you may need a vacation, or maybe just developed super hearing! :lol::lol:

X

---

lol, both distinct possibilities. I'm not so much worried about it bothering me as much as

a.) the new relay click sound happening near the passenger SRS (sorta above and behind the glove box area) - wondering if this relay actually is involved in the SRS or if it's something else just near it.

b.) I see a lot of threads on other forums with people reporting loud relays, then next dead batteries.

Time to break out the voltmeter I guess.

I highly doubt any of the clicking relays have anything to do with your SRS system. The SRS system has a built in fail-safe mechanism, and if detects a problem the Airbag light turns on and you would know about it.

X

---

You're definitely crazy. They all do this. They're SUPPOSED to do this.

There are two fixes for your problem:

1. Turn up the radio.

2. Get out the wiring diagrams and figure out which relays are where behind the dash, so that you can identify the ones that are opening and closing. At least then you'll know.

Ben

Archived