LegacyGT.com

08 OBW Ltd Radio & HVAC Display go blank

lfdal

08 OBW Ltd, 2800 miles. Started the car and everything was fine.

On the way to work I noticed that the digital display for the radio and the heating system was dead. If I push any radio button, there's no effect. I can turn it off and on, but that's it. It was in CD mode, and is still in CD mode. No volume control.

As far as the heater, if I push either the front or rear defrost button, the light in the respective button blinks. It seems like I have some level of control, but no idea what mode its really in.

Since I got the car, I've noticed a hot / burning circuit board electrical smell on first starts sometimes in the morning. I haven't bothered to take it to the dealer since their history of spotting such things is ahhhh..... non-existent. So hopefully, this is what I've been smelling and it finally had the good graces to die.

Called the dealer, described the symptoms and was told to bring it by so they can get the numbers to order a new faceplate. Doesn't sound like the first one of these they've dealt with. Be curious to see if that's the cure.

I let it set for a few minutes at work and upon restart it still was out.

Update .... Great....:mad: I started the car after it sat for 3.5 hours and everything's fine. Even drove it for 45 minutes and couldn't get the problem to come back.

Time to download the service manuals and see if there's an accessible diagnostic mode like my 04 FXT had.

Hopefully it was a one time thing, but I doubt it.

Anyone else seen this? I assume its the same control across the Legacy / Outback product line.

Sorry if i missed a thread where this has already been covered.

mine has doen this a few times (05) but I have never had the burning smell....

and it has literally been only 3 r 4 times in two years.

your in warranty just let them fix it. my warranty is up due to mileage so I'll eventually just upgrade everything

Archived