LegacyGT.com

bad for ya foods

Jerboa113

Ok, I haven’t posted in this shiny new forum yet.. So here I am to get mud all over the carpet.

Anyone here have any specialties that are really bad for ya? The kind of thing you make for the superbowl parties or if you have a bunch of friends over cooking on the grill.

One thing that I like to make is a spinoff from the steakhouse "TBonz" in Augusta. They call it "Tommy's Texas Cheese Fries" but I made my own rendition.

Here’s how ya make it:

Items needed:

Potatoes (duh)

Hidden Valley Ranch mix:

1 cup Mayo (I prefer Hellmans Light for this)

1 cup milk (I prefer 1% for this)

~1/2-1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

~1/8-1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Casserole Dish

Oven

Fryer

Take whole potatoes, how many potatoes determines how much you want to make obviously, and how big they are. I generally do 3-4 for a part of as many if they're good size. If they're small I might consider 6 or so.

Cut the potatoes into chunks, I generally do this randomly, I don’t peel them or anything like that, approximate size of the chunks are about 1-1.5" square.

Deep fry them. You know how to do that.. Make sure they're fully cooked; the next few steps may help finish them if they're not totally done, but that depends on preference.

While the potatoes are frying, preheat your oven to 450 and break out a casserole dish.

Make the Ranch dressing from the powder mix as mentioned earlier. I generally make 16oz for 4 people, 8oz for just 2. The 16oz recipe requires 1 cup mayo and 1 cup milk. Amazingly, I have found that Hellmans Light mayo and 1% milk seem to taste better. Make the ranch, Put this in a bowl and put it in the fridge to thicken up a bit.

Once the potatoes are done, drain them, if you have a basket fryer like I do you can just let them sit for a while. It doesn't really matter if they cool while you're doing other things.

Now that you're ready, go ahead and put the potatoes in the casserole dish. The smaller the dish the better really when it comes to this. You want the potatoes close together.

Now pour in the ranch dressing you made earlier. You want to make sure you get good even coverage. If you made too much, I dunno, make a salad or something.

Now sprinkle on a healthy topping of Sharp Cheddar. I generally cover the entire thing with this.

Now in the center of the cheddar sprinkle some Mozzarella. You don’t need as much, but you can use whatever cheese you like obviously for this.

Now put the whole mess in the oven and bake. The way you can tell its done is when the ranch has just started to bubble. I think it’s less than 10 minutes.

Let this cool! You do not want hot cheese and ranch slapping you in the chin or the potatoes burning your tongue and ruining the taste experience.

Congratulations. You just made a man side-dish :p

I have attached a picture of one I made a long time ago. I have since changed the formatting to the above, so yours will look different.

Got your own bad for ya foods? Please post em!

00001.jpg.ad7f2ce19e5b1f771dc81dffa7d32a9c.jpg

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Heart stopper?! how about this...

The Arterial Hemorrhagator Hash of Doom (inspired by the last time all my friends got the munchies and our toilet was out of order) :

1 package black pepper bacon

1 package Ore-Ida or equivalent shredded potatoes

1-2 tbs butter

2 packages cheap cheeses of choice (or if you are flashy, use a blue cheese such as roquefort or maytag blue)

1 can corned beef or 1 lb of ground meat of choice

9 eggs

1 medium onion finely cubed

2 cloves garlic smashed and minced

2 Jalapeno's thinly sliced

Salt & Pepper

Tortillas or bread of choice

Materials:

12-16" Cast Iron Skillet

Stomach Pump

Broiler

Pre-op: Pre-heat broiler

1)Lay all the bacon on the cold skillet, put a little oil on to help it render and turn the heat up to medium, if you have a smaller skillet heat it up as well and place it on top of the bacon. Continue to render the bacon until you get complete grease extraction and crisp bacon, pull bacon out, set aside and dice when cooled. Keep all grease in the pan (yes, that is right, all of it)

2)add onions and cook until translucent, then add garlic and jalapeños, cook until aromatic, increase the heat to high, check for seasoning in veggies, if too salty add a little sugar (it should be distinctly peppery with a little bit of saltiness, if your hashbrowns are unsalted you'll need just a tad more since the corned beef is already salty

3) Add corned beef and entire package of hashbrowns, add bacon pieces, stir mixture, spread, then press the hash brown mixture into a cake, check and pray that seasonings are ok, cook until potatoes are done. If using ground meat, add and cook until browned and crumbly, then proceed with hashbrowns, being sure to write a check for the cost of angioplasty as you'll probably save the grease that renders out of the ground meat as well

4) spread the butter on top of the mixture, sprinkle a package of cheese on top, crack the eggs around top of the cheesy cake sure to crack the last one right on the center

5)Using towel or potholder, or bare hands if you are man enough (just kidding, don't use bare hands) pull the pan off the heat and onto the top rack of your oven (or in your broiler tray if you have the other type of oven) and crack the oven door so you may see; watch carefully, pull the eggs just before they look like they are done, it will take less than a minute, meanwhile heat up tortillas or bread until pliable or warm

6) grab a 12 pack of gross beer, call your friends, pour ketchup on top and add other cheese package to personal preferences, use a fork and knife and eat it right from the pan, minding the fact that its extremely hot and could burn you if touched.

7) If you are still alive rejoice in the fact that you made two new best friends, TUMS and the porcelain priest known as your toilet...

• 1 month later...

hrmm, I meat bad for you as in tasty and whatnot, not bad for you as in food poisoning. :lol:

I dont know that i'll ever want a burger so bad that I'm willing to eat one from a can.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Archived