LegacyGT.com

Sports Nutrition Help

twisted

OK guys i've seen quite a few workout threads around here but this one is more specific to get me to my goals.

I'm 5'10" and 183 lbs(down from 197lbs).

I'm rather athletic built with decent sized arms and shoulders.

But my bodyfat is kinda high and covers the decent muscle underneath. MY attemps are to loose the same. I am now doing the following to help me with this:

-Lots of Elliptical

-Running 5Ks at least 2 times a week and another 2.5k once a week

I am noticing decent results but I am wondering if there is anything on the nutrition side that will help me get to that lean body faster.

Please note that i DO NOT want to get BULKIER/BIGGER. I already am as bulky as i wanna be. I need to trim bodyfat and the muscle that exists underneath will do the rest.

So food-wise I am aiming for low carb and more fruits n veggies but any supplements that will help me safely loose the body fat and mke the muscle lean FASTER?

Also my target weight is 165-170lbs

Thx

If you don't eat as many calories and you should burn the fat right off. No need to mess with those supplements. Don't eat within a few hours of going to sleep. No beer, just water. Make sure you a descent breakfast early when you wake up.

Low carb is okay, not necessary if you are active. Fruits and Veggies are great, high protein is good, high fiber is good.

I'm not a fitness professional in any way, these are just my own personal experiences/thoughts.

First off, you are doing the wrong types of workout to lose fat. The workouts you are doing gets your heart rate too high to burn fat. Jump on a bike or exercise bike and do LSD. Not the drugs. Long, Steady Distance. Go at a pace that you can maintain a full conversation without running out of air. Do that for a few hours, a few times a week.

i agree with most of the posts the others have shared, and am on a similar track as you are. i think that there are some supplements that can help, but the problem is that most are for weight training and increasing muscle mass, not what you are really looking for. there was a product that i used before that helped me train longer called bio-burn, but it seems that you don't have trouble with running long distances. i would suggest mixing up your cardio routine to include swimming, stationary bike, and other low impact exercises, to ease some of the wear and tear on the joints. try throwing in some sprints in when running, or on the bike, to keep your body guessing, and getting onto a rut. good luck!
never, under any circumstances, take sleeping pills at the same time as a laxative.

^^ pro athlete, listen to him :)

:redface: Im just gifted. I wouldnt take any of those "supplements" that make you train longer or whatever. If all you are looking to do is lose weight and stay in shape do something that you wont have a problem being consistent at. It may not come as fast as you would like, but it will be easier to sustain once your body and metabolism get into a nice cycle naturally. Dont be affraid to eat, just dont eat crap.

Maybe Heights can start a healthy choice thread on his F/D sub forum

:redface: Im just gifted. I wouldnt take any of those "supplements" that make you train longer or whatever. If all you are looking to do is lose weight and stay in shape do something that you wont have a problem being consistent at. It may not come as fast as you would like, but it will be easier to sustain once your body and metabolism get into a nice cycle naturally. Dont be affraid to eat, just dont eat crap.

Maybe Heights can start a healthy choice thread on his F/D sub forum

that's why i said i used to take them. i agree that most of weight loss occurs when you simply eat right, and exercise regularly. it may take a while but you well just have to be patient. trust me you'll fell better in the long run for not taking that stuff and doing it on your own. sorry if i wasn't clear before. once again good luck

never, under any circumstances, take sleeping pills at the same time as a laxative.

Thx for the advice guys.

I'm trying to eat right by doing a mix of:

- calorie count (trying to stay under 1100)

- more fruits and veggies

-less quantity + more frequency of food

- No coffee and one diet soda a day and only 2 alcoholic drinks per week

-breakfast everyday (i used to skip this all the time)

Besides losing body fat, my other objective is to condition myself to be a good runner and take my range to 10K (each run) and more. I am mixing some light weight training 2-3 times a week as well.

1100 calories is definitely not enough and what you want is to change your daily living/eating habits to a new standard that you can live with forever. This will reduce the urge to go on big reward meals once you reach some goal.

My recommendations (just my .02 cents):

1. Make it fun...

2. Plan out a wide range workouts of running (mix up the running course for the day) & weight lifting that will result in good cross training between the two. Plenty of on-line workout plans for simple running programs. Here is one of my favorite sites I used years ago for training.

http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10kintro.htm

3. Eat & drink right. The right foods & amounts for what your body needs. There are several on-line calorie calculators online. That means eating right for your workouts for that day and have them be foods you enjoy or learn to enjoy. I usually eat 4-5 times a day of smaller meals.

4. Rest. Get plenty of rest. Most endurance pro athletes get 8-9 hours of sleep a night for recovery. It works...trust me.

5. Find some local folks to run with. They may be faster then you or slower but it is helpful to find a group to run with. Something I learned long ago...Someone will always be faster then me and someone will always be slower then me. This even happens with a daily running group.

6. I like using my Heart Rate monitor for my training. Some people don't like them, but it has helped me train hard on some days & help me train long & slow (intentionally) on other days.

7. Don't expect results tomorrow...good solid training and weight lose takes time.

Good luck and keep us up to date on how your training is going.

Cheers,

Mike

• 1 year later...
I usually take in round 1500 calories a day depending. I am 5'10" also and round 185 when i got back from afghanistan I was 170lbs and my wife said I was too darn skinny LOL so back to the gym for me and back to 185. What you wanna do is some light weightlifting and run. Like me for example I lift a day then run the next day and It works i lost like 52 pounds in 6 months LOL. But just exercise with some less weight more reps for defintion and run every other day. Also make sure you are taking some supplements like a good multi-vitamin and maybe some muscle milk by cytosport it helps you cut fat and gain lean muscle.

i do extensive reading on sports nutrition and fitness/exercise with a BS degree in biology and a minor in chemistry.

for your goals, you should actually be taking about 2000 calories per day and about 180g of protein per day MINIMUM. your body is undergoing much more physical strain than the average adult due to your exercise regime, and it requires you to intake more protein and vitamins/minerals.

i highly recommend buying a 100% whey protein shake (optimum nutrition - 100% whey is among my top choices), and a good men's formulated multi-vitamin.

start your day by taking 20g of whey protein within the first 5 mins of waking up. during the night, your body goes into a catabolic state where it breaks down muscle after your amino acid and glycogen source is depleted. you can halt this by intaking ~20g of protein immediately upon waking, or even eating a cup of low-fat plain cottage cheese before sleeping to provide your body with a slow-digesting protein that lasts about 5-7 hours.

if you're going low-carb AND exercising, you need to provide your body with some type of energy or else 1.) you won't have the energy to sustain your workouts, and 2.) your body will "forget" how to utilize carbs efficiently which can lead to faster weight gain during "binge eatings". try to cycle low carb and moderate carb days in a 3:1 ratio. obviously low-carb days would consist of a diet like

meal no. 1: protein shake and a banana (high dense sugar content replenishes glycogen levels in your liver that was lost during the night)

meal no. 2: 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites, peanut butter and celery sticks with a multi-vitamin

meal no. 3: tuna in water, very light on the light mayo, salad with a variety of color, extra virgin olive oil and vinegar or vinegrette

meal no. 4: handful of almonds and walnuts

pre-workout: 20g whey protein, 1 large apple

post-workout: 40g whey protein, 20 jellybeans (or something with approximately 50-70g of quick digesting sugar aka high glycemic index food- white bread, medium bagel, banana, candy, gatorade/powerade, etc)

meal no. 5: 8oz chicken breast (no skin), or 8oz salmon/tilapia, or ONCE a week, any type of "-loin" cut of red meat will be okay. flank steak is also low in fat. mixed veggies,

meal no 6: 1 cup low fat plain cottage cheese or 20g casein protein shake before going to sleep.

a moderate carb day should look something like:

wake up: 20g whey protein with a banana

meal 2: 1 whole egg, 2 egg whites, 2 whole-wheat pancakes (easy on the butter/syrup!) or a bowl of steel cut oatmeal

meal 3: half a tuna or deli-meat sandwich on whole grain wheat bread (easy on the light mayo)

meal 4: 1 cup of low/non-fat plain greek yogurt with a handful of almonds/walnuts

pre-workout: 20g whey protein, one large apple

post-workout: 40g whey protein, 50-70g high glycemic carb food

meal 5: 8oz lean meat, mixed veggies, one medium sweet potato

meal 6: 1 cup low fat plain cottage cheese or 20g casein protein shake before going to sleep.

notice how all of your carbs (aside from waking up and post-workout) are all whole grain and/or slow-digesting carbs (low-glycemic index).

your workouts should be high intensity interval training (HIIT) which has been proven to burn fat MUCH quicker and more efficiently than jogging sedimentarily for hours or going on a bike/elliptical for 45 mins. HIIT is a training method that involves a light-paced jog/bike speed for one minute, then a hard sprint/pedal for another minute.. and that's one set. try 8-10 sets total and you'll burn more fat and increase your heart rate and metabolism MUCH more in 16-20 mins than on a slow-paced jog for 45 mins. think about sports that have this kind of exercise method... soccer, basketball, etc. these athletes rarely have much body fat on them.

there has been additional research suggesting that doing cardio within an hour of lifting weights can de-activate certain fat-burning genes temporarily, thus making your back-to-back workouts counterproductive. i suggest lifting weights three times a week, and doing cardio twice a week, leaving two days to rest.

this information is pretty much just scratching the surface of everything, but i suggest you read up on fitness and exercise biochemistry and nutrition to really understand how certain foods, certain exercises, sleep patterns, etc all affect your weight management.

hope this helps!

get into the swimming pool. you will burn so many more calories and it will save your joints in the long run.people think that eating less and burning more calories will loose more wt. It has the opposit affect. eat 6 small meals a day and do your workouts. drink plenty of water. your muscles need the energy to burn more fat that is why you eat 6 small meals a day.

get into the swimming pool. you will burn so many more calories and it will save your joints in the long run.people think that eating less and burning more calories will loose more wt. It has the opposit affect. eat 6 small meals a day and do your workouts. drink plenty of water. your muscles need the energy to burn more fat that is why you eat 6 small meals a day.

actually a better reason why you should eat 5-6 small meals a day is because

1.) it helps with protein absorption (intaking and absorbing about 30g a meal rather than intaking 60g and only absorbing 30g, and leaving the other remaining 30g to be converted to fat possibly).

2.) maintains blood sugar better and keeps your metabolism burning instead of surging and dipping

Archived