LegacyGT.com

What mods to do first?

Thank you for the info, this helps a lot. Well I found out my Dad got me a perrin Intake for my Birthday, not much of a performace upgrade but it will remove the goofy plastic airbox, and hopefully be a bit louder. I decided to get rid of the ugly grille and get the sport mesh one. As for performance im gonna hold off on the Access port, until I know what the best solution for that situation is, but I like Cobb so most likely ill be getting the access port. Before that though im gonna hit the exhuast system im gonna get UP DP and do it all at once so its easiest. Well I do have a noob question, I have the Borla cat back now, if I get and UP DP, what else will have to be done to fully complete this exhaust, in other words what in the middle section should be removed and left in order to pass emmissions and that stuff? What is the bare minium I need to pass? Thank you.

Well I do have a noob question, I have the Borla cat back now, if I get and UP DP, what else will have to be done to fully complete this exhaust, in other words what in the middle section should be removed and left in order to pass emmissions and that stuff? What is the bare minium I need to pass? Thank you.

Curl up with a good book.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572

Okay the one in the uppipe can be eliminated with an STI replacement and there is a fix for the CEL you would get. Not emissions affecting either. The resonater in the back could go as well with no affect on emissions may just add a bit of sound. That leaves the one in the down and the one just behind it. I see in the picture o2 sensors in each of them since there is no sniffer test does someone make O2 sims to keep the ECU happy if one or both were removed?

Rule of thumb among high-perf driving instructors is to know what your goals are before modding the car. We're biased toward spending the first $$$$ on driving schools, tires, and brake pads. Motor mods under a stock ecu will help lap times by a miniscule amount compared to knowing total vehicle driving dynamics and tuning from there. Sorry to sound preachy but there will always be tempting ways to spend your money on one car, but driving skills transfer to every car you'll own.

Watkins Glen is near you...Car Guys and TrackTime have events there.

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

Geeze, then my first mods are good.... not mess'n with performance....... =)

Got the car yesterday...

Mods on the way

1) Cobb STS and Bushings will be here tomorrow (can't live without the short throw)

2) HIDS 5000k H7 Kit on it's way (I know I know....)

Figure thats a good safe start

Then I'll get to add my NAV/DVD/TV/MP3/Disc changer/XM/W7 subs/AMPS......gonna be fun I get to build another dash, and another circuit board like I did for my old Mazda6.....Sill would like to find a better way, maybe fab something for that top lil pocket...only had her a day...so we'll see what I can come up with. After search'n and read'n posts for the last 5 days doesn't seem to be much out there in the stereo mod dep. =)

Then onto the engine after driving her for a good 15k......

I'll post next week with mods done and pics =) If time....good instructions on stuff. Which I also haven't been able to find on the 05 GT....Pioneer'n is fun =)

• 2 months later...
I gotta question, I have a friend with an 04 sti and hes a big subaru tycoon. Well i was about to buy the cat back borla exhaust and he told me not to. Reason is, he said Borla sounds and performs a lot better on V6s & V8s and that i should wait until the may/june time until i start looking because more and better parts will start commin out, as well as prices going down. When it comes to getting aftermarket parts i have the patience of about zero. i mean ive got my windows tinted "whoopty dooo" and i dont want........ i need aftermarket parts where can i find them??

Guest *Jedimaster*

" What mods to do first?"

I think I would start with Patagonian GT- he's a swell kinda guy :lol:

I soooo wish these had Englsih versions and USDM catalogs!

• 3 years later...

If a product WILL make extra power, the mfr. will give you a range of figures. $1000 for a catback gives you 8-15 HP, tops. $1500 for an installed DP and a Stage 2 accessport will give you a guaranteed 40-45 HP. So at around 10 extra HP for $1000, a catback gives you around 1 (only one!) HP per $100 spent. A minimum Stage 2 (Accessport and DP W/ NO CATBACK) gives you about 42 HP average for $1500, or $35 per 1 HP.

So there you have it. In choosing between a minimal Stage 2 alone and a catback alone, each extra HP will cost you either $100 or $35. Do the math on everything you buy and you will go faster for LESS.

And if the mfr. does not state HP figures, it is because of 1 of 2 reasons: (1) the part is more show than GO, or (2) the part makes that extra power ONLY under certain circumstances- circumstances that the mfr. has no bothered to describe for a reason I will leave to your imagination. And believe me, if an advertised mod was likely to give you extra power, the mfr. would be specific in telling you that. After all, they are trying try to convince you to go with THEIR product rather than someone else's product. IF THEY DON'T SAY HOW MUCH EXTRA HP YOU ARE GETTING, YOU HAVE TO ASK YOURSELF "WHY?". OK, so it will make extra power only when THAT mod is combined with other mods. Which ones? Can this be verified? What is the cost of the whole bundle of mods to maximize the contribution of each. It is your money and 100% up to you how much to research everything you buy and how much to gamble.

IMHO, too many aftermarket exhausts are little more than a $1000 excuse to get noticed by law enforcement. And for what, 10 extra HP tops? Maybe?

$$ spent divided by mfr.-published HP gain. It really is that easy to start off on the right gear.

Ok, between the holidays and my birthday, ive put aside about 700 dollars that I want to spend on my car. I already have rims, sway bar, and cat back exhaust. Im not too sure what would be the best way to spend my money, I was originally thinking of going with the access port, but after seeing that Dyno im not too sure. Who would still rccomend going with this? Also what kind of gains are seen after running stage 2 will satge 2 make it really worth it? Any Ideas or help? Thank you.

-NSaglibene

hps brake pads.

best tires money can buy

xenons

Archived