LegacyGT.com

Excessive wind noise from the windshield area due to wiper arm?

My appointment is on Monday and they intend to start by sealing off the windshield with tape to search for the air leak. All three service writers road tested the car and heard the noise and feel it is coming from the base of the windshield or through the firewall.

Well I just went to the dealer this morning to fix my chirping clutch pedal, I had them take a look at the windshield. Well apparently there is a leak somewhere, they have scheduled a glass company to come out to my work on Monday to reseal the window.

Well I checked for a "leaf" just in case ... nadda .. so I have an apt Friday to have them remedy my squeeky clutch and to take a look at the "windnoise" .. I'll let everyone know how that goes.

Did you ever take off the airfoil (or whole wiper blade) to see if that was the problem?

I have this noise too. I'm not to worried. I'll probably modify the intake and exhaust enough that I won't hear it anymore.

I'm only half kidding.

---Dan

Mach V

FastWRX.com

BTW might want to check the sealing around the front windows, my passenger window leaks enough air at high speeds that it sounds like its partially open. BTW possible reason you hear wind noise is that subaru went with a thin windsheild. Thats how the aerodynamic bricks called SUV's cut wind noise is using thick glass. Problem is glass is very heavy, heavier then steel, and weighs done the car. Plus having a thick windshield would rasie the center of gravity which is bad for handling. Which is why subie went with an aluminum rood on the LGT, to reduce wieght and lower the center of mass/gravety.

• 1 month later...

I was having the exact same problem with my new 2005 Outback 2.5i. Noise would start to become aparent as slow as 35 MPH and was dramatically affected by any type of crosswind.

I taped off the entire front windshield with 2 inch masking tap covering both the weatherstrip to body and molding to winshield areas. Once this was done, the noise was eliminated. I took the car to the dealer and explained the windnosie, told them that masking off the windshield eliminated the noise and requested that the specific source of the problem be determined and repaired. I even printed out a copy of the entire windnoise thread from the forum and gave it to the service manager telling him this is EXACTLY the problem I am having.

The first warranty service tag was written up by the service manager as follows: "Customer states windnoise while driving from lower windshield area beginning 30/40 MPH. Cause: Poor Sealing (windshield wetherstrip / seal / molding). Test drove, noise duplicated from front lower center windshield area. Sublet repair to glass shop to reseal lower windshield weatherstrip. test drove after repairs, could not duplicate noise after repairs were completed."

I picked the car up from the dealer after being assured the noise was eliminated, on drive home it was obvious that the noise was still there, nothing had changed. I returned the next day and told the service manager that whatever they did failed to correct the problem. I went out with a mechanic for a test drive, the mechanic agreed there was a noise and that it appeard to be from the lower portion of the windshield coming off the wiper blade, he removed the wiper arms, stuffed the holes with rags and we again drove it, although the sound was drastically reduced without the wiper arms, I could still detect a noise intruding into the cabin. Then the service manager went for a ride with me -- the same service manager who acknowledged on the first complaint that there was a nosie and that it was eliminated. The service manager then wrote the second warranty service tag as follows:

"Customer states wind noise from center dash area approx 30-40 MPH. Mans vehicle performing to manufactureres specifications. No problem found. Test drove vehicle with customer, confirmed noise customer is hearing. Compared customer's vehicle to three other brand new like vehicles and they all hve the same sound when driving. Customer is hearing air rushing around outside the front windshield which is inherent to the design of the car. No air leaks exist, all parts are operating proerly as designed."

At this point it was obvious I wasn't going to get anywhere with this service manager. I took the car home, and went through a process of masking off various portions of the windshield to determine exactly what was cuasing the noise. I determiend that I could eliminate the excessive windnoise which appeared to be coming off the wiper blade by masking off the entire outside weatherstrip to the body along both A-pilars and the top of the roof, and that I also had to mask off both the left and right side inner-molding piece against the glass. I then took a tube of Permatex Flowable Windshield Silicone and ran a bead down each side of the molding-glass area and also used the silicone to tack down the outer weatherstrip.

The end result is a whisper quiet front windshield at all speeds regardless of crosswind effect. I was just curious to know what, if any, resolution your dealer came to regarding your wind noise problem. I have not yet written to SOA about this matter, and wanted to know how other dealers have dealt with it. I would especially be interested in copies of any warranty repair invoices or other paperwork generated by your dealer as part of fixing your problem.

Thank you, Matt

Matt,

Unfortunately I have not been back to the dealer to let them troubleshoot and fix the leak. I've been busy with work and the car sits under my carport with 4,000 miles while I take the train to NYC. But I drove it today, first time in weeks and the noise is still driving me crazy. I plan on taking it in next Monday when I'm off. But if they can't find the source I may follow your lead and try to re-seal it myself. I'll post the outcome as soon as I take it in.

Ray

You might try the masking tape before you go back to the dealer to see if that stops the noise. The strange part is that the sound makes you focus on the bottom of the windshield like the wiper arm and the cowling. To their credit, the dealer did supposedly re-seal the bottom of the windshield with a bead of urethane, and also glued down a loose section of the bottom weatherstrip/cowling. Since the sound continued after that procedure, I only tried masking the two sides and top of the windshield and as part of my masking and unmasking process on various parts of the windshield, I discovered that just masking off the sides of the windshield (both frame/molding against windshield and weatherstrip against body) by themselves would not stop the noise, and neither would just masking off the top of the windshield weatherstrip against the body. It took a combination of the weather strip on both sides and top to be tacked down with the silicone and the silicone to be applied down both the left and right side of the frame/molding against the glass to get rid of the noise. I did not have to apply any silicone to the top part of the frame/molding against the glass. I know I am probably not using the correct terms when referring nto the "frame/molding" but I hope you understand what I am describing. I agree, the noise will drive you crazy.

I'm following what you are trying to explain and it sounds like a good plan. The noise does seem to come thru the base of the windshield on the passenger side but for all we know it may be traveling thru the windshield "channel" from the top.

When can you hear the wind noise? Mine is noticable if I turn off the ac and the radio. Quiet, but still there.. Sounds like a big cross wind, but one way slowly, then the other way.... Except it happens even when not windy out.... So if you guys are cruising at 75-80 with everything quiet do you hear this kind of noise?

I would begin to notice the noise while driving as slow as 30 to 35 MPH along city and residential streets with no noticeable wind outside. As the seped increase up to highway speed the wind noise would get more noticeable. The noise always appeared to be coming from the lower center of the windshield down near where the driver's side wiper blade sticks up above the hoodline, and it sounded like it was coming through the dashboard around that location. Once at highway speed the noise didn't really fluctuate much just based on speed, but it did appear to be direction sensitive. Driving along the same stretch of highway the noise could change by simply going around a slight curve. When there was a definite cross-wind situation, the noise was at its worst. This led me to conclude that wind was getting under the loose ends of the weatherstrip. Once I taped off the areas identified in my earlier post I was unable to detect any wind noise coming off the wiper blade or lower windshield area.

Matt -- excellents posts; thanks for all that info. Your description of when the noise comes on and how it sounds is right on.

I still haven't gone to the dealer with my LGT (thanks to the little unplanned, month-long vacay it had to take in the body shop), but I'll try some of the fixes you listed before I do.

- Kai

• 1 month later...

Have had same problem. I do lots of open road cruising 70- 90MPH and the noise has been driving me crazy! Kept thinking a fan was on in the cockpit...

6000 mile oil change today and described my problem to service manager (salesman also available to follow-up on me, his customer). 1 hour later; free oil-change and they are having their glass company call me Monday to schedule the repair. They are having the glass repair come to my home or office so I will not be inconvenienced. No questions, no resistance, great service. :)

Since the "re-seal" did not seem to work the first time for aredstripe, I will let the glass company read aredstripe's fix and insist that they use the Windshield Silicone when they re-seal the windshield. Only downside of the experience so far is that I will have to wait until I complete a 2100 mile road trip next week (with the damn noise) before the repair can be done.

Thanks for the info aredstripe!

• 1 month later...

Quick bump for some new info: I got two cracks in the LGT's windshield a few weeks back, and had it replaced through insurance (I've got glass coverage). So I thought it'd be interesting to see whether the wind noise I described above would go away once the replacement windshield (also OEM) was installed. Short answer: sho' nuff. :D

I honestly have no idea if the installer used the windshield silicone that Matt described, but whatever he used it worked. It seemed like he used the same thing I've seen every other glass shop use...some kind of thick, shiny black goop. So the bottom line is something went pear-shaped when my original windshield was installed at the factory, and getting a new one fixed the problem.

- Kai

The end result is a whisper quiet front windshield at all speeds regardless of crosswind effect. I was just curious to know what, if any, resolution your dealer came to regarding your wind noise problem. I have not yet written to SOA about this matter, and wanted to know how other dealers have dealt with it. I would especially be interested in copies of any warranty repair invoices or other paperwork generated by your dealer as part of fixing your problem.

even 80mph?

• 2 weeks later...
Quick bump for some new info: I got two cracks in the LGT's windshield a few weeks back, and had it replaced through insurance (I've got glass coverage). So I thought it'd be interesting to see whether the wind noise I described above would go away once the replacement windshield (also OEM) was installed. Short answer: sho' nuff. :D

I honestly have no idea if the installer used the windshield silicone that Matt described, but whatever he used it worked. It seemed like he used the same thing I've seen every other glass shop use...some kind of thick, shiny black goop. So the bottom line is something went pear-shaped when my original windshield was installed at the factory, and getting a new one fixed the problem.

- Kai

Did they change the weather strip around the glass? Meaning, did use a different "rubber strip" thingy? The stock one (at least mine) does not lay flat against the windshield, but it's rather more like a "bump" that seals off the glass and the roof panel. I wonder if this "bump" may be causing the wind noise, and when you got the windshield replaced they used a different weather strip rubber thingy:D . I know, clumsy description...

Yeah, they replaced it with an OEM strip. In fact, getting the whole thing done right away was delayed because Subaru forgot to tell the auto glass installer that a new weather strip would be needed, too. The guy only showed up with the windshield the first time he came by.

So that definitely wasn't the source of the noise, unless it too was improperly installed at the factory, of course. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
I've noticed significant wind noise when the wipers are running. When they're off, the noise is minimal but turn them on while cruising at high speed and there's quite a bit of wind noise. At first I thought the blades were making the noise against the glass but the noise goes away at lower speeds. I guess Subaru didn't have the wipers going in the wind tunnel.

Hi everyone,

I am picking up my 2005 GT Limited on Saturday. Is this windshield problem anything I should be concerned with or just a minor problem that can be dealt with if i have the noise.

thanks

Deckard

I've had mine for ~4 months now, and have never had any type of noise at any speed from the windshield.

• 3 years later...
Opening up an old wound here on wind noise. The past few days we've have major winds and when I drive into the wind only I get this awful sound/wind noise. It made me slow down right as I heard it, then once I went from 75-55 it went away. This happens only when I go into certain winds. Once I went the other way and hit 80-85ish there was nothing, so I felt better it wasn't anything mechanical. I've heard wind noise in cars before but never like this. Its an 08 so according to this old post, it hasn't been corrected yet. I could see it being those windows moving since they don't really have a "window frame". You can manually push on them and they flex, and they should..... So is it the wind moving them enought to cause a gap? Its seems more passenger side?

Archived