LegacyGT.com

5MT shifting hard

meat52990

I have a 1996 Legacy L sedan 2.2L with a 5MT that's been giving me some trouble. When the car isn't running, it shifts fine. But when I fire it up in neutral it will not shift into a forward gear, and reverse pulls extremely hard and makes some heinous noises on the way in. Once in gear, it drives fine. When shifting while moving, (i.e. 2nd-3rd, or 3rd-4th), it shifts harder than I think it should, and despite the fact that I'm pushing in the clutch, it feels like I'm clutchless shifting.:confused:

Seeing as this is my daily driver, and only operable vehicle right now, i've had to put up with it. I've been starting the car in gear with the clutch in, and taking off from stop lights/signs in 2nd gear. (First is extremely difficult to engage).

I checked the 'manual transaxle fluid' level for the first time yesterday, and it didn't even reach the dipstick. I drained what was left and refilled it with the book recommended 3.7qts. of 80W-90 GL-5. It didn't seem to help.:spin:

I've had trouble shifting before, but its a very peculiar problem. A few weeks ago my MAF sensor went. I drove it around for a couple weeks before I replaced it, and during that time my car suddenly started shifting hard. It drove fine all the way to my girlfriends house, but when I started my car in her drive way, it refused to shift. I re-started it in gear, and it shifted hard all the way to my friends house. The next day I started my car again and it shifted fine. It shifted smooth for the next couple weeks. One day after school, my friend and I went to McDonalds, and it was shifting hard again. After we ate, I started my car and it shifted fine again.

As of a few days ago, it's been consistently shifting hard. WTF. Do I need a new transmission? What the hell is mine doing? I've heard horror stories about tranny swaps. How bad would installing another 5MT be?

Archived