LegacyGT.com

Cheers for PIAA Extreme White hi-beams.

Guest turboman

Guest turboman

Just hit 500 miles. Changed the oil to synthetic and put in PIAA Extreme White high beams. Best lighting I've ever had. Even the stock low beams have a beautiful straight top cutoff and I won't even try to improve them. The PIAA high beams light the road 1/2 mile ahead on flat land.

Kumho Ecsta ASX 225/45-17 tires (235/40-17 won't fit) coming today, MagnaFlow twin outlet #14815 SS mufflers ($150.US ea.) tommorrow.

I'm shifting at 6000 max and there's no comparison to my WRX. Always found that the faster, harder you break them in, the faster they are. Other car guys have told me the same thing. Never hurt any of the 30+ new cars I've bought.

Stronger mid-range than a WRX, by far. Can't wait to hear the mufflers at full throttle with the sunroof open. Twin mufflers with 4 tips should sound terrific.

Dang sunroof shade slides all the way open every time I punch it. Going to put a velcro patch and strip on the front of the shade to hold it closed.

...love this car. :p

Guest turboman
Did you try the 235 Kumho's or are you just going by the numbers?

I measured with the tires sitting next to the car. They are 1" wider on both the inside and the outside than the stock tires. They are huge. There is no room on the inside. Then I called Tirerack and he said nobody ever used that size on stock wheels on a Legacy.

I had to mail them back to TireRack. Cost $51.00 freight. They are sending 225/45-17 size back. Which are supposed to fit.

I'm shifting at 6000 max and there's no comparison to my WRX. Always found that the faster, harder you break them in, the faster they are. Other car guys have told me the same thing. Never hurt any of the 30+ new cars I've bought.

Absolutely agree on the break-in.

Ron

Yeah, I think people overdo the break-in thing. Modern cars don't really need much break-in at all because of the tight manufacturing tolerances. As far as I can tell, Subaru only recommends that we not drive at the same RPM for long periods of time for the first 1000 miles. It was the same for my last 4 cars (1 Volks, 2 Toyotas, 1 Volvo).

Guest turboman

Got the two MagnaFlow twin tips welded on. $440 with 2 hours labor. the tips are more recessed than I planned but they look more stock the way they are (Cop-proof). They aren't very noisy. Kind of humming noise with the sunroof open. No drumming inside the car. Will have the silencer taken off next. Might be a problem because muffler shops might think it's part of the emmisions and won't want to touch it.

Put the Perrin short ram intake on. What a job. Took 2 hours just to get the silicon hose over the rubber neck going to the turbo. Had to shave off some material. It's a foam filter over a plastic frame. Looks cheap ($189 ! Components probably cost $20). There's a brace to support it but the instructions are poor.

Took out the whole airbox. Leaves a big empty hole looking down at the lower pan. Sound seems to resonant too much. I can hear the turbo spinning under both acceleration and trailing throttle at a certain point. Not a whirring noise, more of a clatter like holding a piece of paper against a fan blade. Think maybe I'll spray undercoating as a sound deadener on the lower pan, weather permitting. I'm putting the stock air intake nozzle back on because it directs cool air directly on the filter.

Think I'm going to order a K&N universal filter in the same size and replace the foam pod. It's so much more substantial. Did the same thing on my wife's PT cruiser.

Can't determine if there are any performance gains. Only got 500 miles on the car. The exhaust sound is subtle but is nice. Don't like that turbo clatter. Sounds cheap. Insulation will help. Tires are coming Monday. Put a shorter MoMo leather shift knob on the factory short shifter. Not as nice as the Kartboy shifter/bushing felt on the WRX. Synthetic tranny fluid may improve it.

Hope this helps somebody. Hate shooting in the dark on a new model. And it always seems to happen to me.

Archived