LegacyGT.com

loss of power at 3000-4000rpm.. is this normal?

when i drive i get a minor loss of power at 3000-4000rpm.. i was just wondering if this is normal with the twin turbo rs version legacy.. does it have anything to do with the turbo system? does the second turbine lag? or do i need to replace anything? i have everything at stock.. seems like the previous owner was someone who drives the car as it is and didnt do anything to the engine (lucky me :D ) i have a list of parts i will change.. but it will take a while to fix em up.. 1. 17" rims (will 18" fit? if so what size tyres would be best?) 2. exhaust pipe (still havent decided on which one to use yet but most prolly use HKS) 3. BOV (HKS Super Sequential) 4. HKS Super Power Flow ( i can get it cheap around here) 5. power bar.. sti ones if possible.. 6. ignition cables (these will have to wait for a while as the current ones work well for me) that`s about it for now.. maybe i`ll put some meters on.. i need a boost meter.. not sure if i need a temp meter as i dont use the car for racing much..

what can i do to fix this? another thing is, i feel the clutch becoming shorter when i drive fast/change gears often at high rpms.. is this normal? it`s like when i drive normally the clutch is kinda long..

Hiya, fellow TT owner here (bit newer tho). I used to have a BG tho. You've found the change over point in the twin-turbo system. Not a real fix available unless you go for a single turbo system. However, a good exhaust can help quite a bit. There are other things you can do too, but how much do u really wanna spend? Anyways, 17s will fit, but watch the off set of the wheels. Basically the biggest tyre that'll fit is 215/45-17 - and the std 17s were ET53 IIRC and already very close to hitting at the rear. 18s will too, but getting some that will clear the fenders will require some funky (and expensive) tyres. I'd suggest RE-01s if you can afford them - they have real GRIP. :) Exhausts: forget HKS IMHO, there is a reason they are cheap. Fujitsubo is the way to go in Subie land generally. BOVs can actually help on the early TTs, coz the plastic std one is genuine rubbish, and leaks like crazy. In the end, what you do is your choice of course. If you were coming down Tokyo way I'd suggest you put it in to AVO for some TLC (bushes, links, ARBs, BOV etc), or you could drop into your local Autobacs and ask for their stuff (or order direct). Then you'll need a brake upgrade :wink: HTH

thanks for the reply.. ur in tokyo? wow.. me in yamagata.. atm i am saving up for a muffler.. i may get a fujitsubo if i can afford it by next year.. about the wheels.. think 16" is good enough for now? i got a set of white avs 16" from my senpai.. he used to have an r32 but it crashed and he took all the parts and is giving it away to anyone who wants it..

Yes, I am in Tokyo. IMHO, you need to study up a bit m8. Subaru has a funky stud spacing of 100 (oft written as PCD100) vs. 114.3 for just about everyone else. Forget the Skyline wheels, they are not going to fit (unless he had a funky Skyline of course) :wink: And yes, 16" is fine IMHO (but they have to be on wheels that fit and hopefully be good rubber). Cheers :)

Archived